Shrimp

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gpc
Admiral

Shrimp

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:10 am

I have always wanted to go shrimping. Where are the best spots to do this. I always thought that you had to go out in a boat a ways out. Is thus true? Any knowledge on shrimping is highly appreciates

jbball50
Commander

RE:Shrimp

Post by jbball50 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Hood Canal when it is open and Elliot Bay, I'm not sure if Elliot Bay is open still, I know my dad and his guys went a couple times a few weeks ago.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:01 pm

It's closed now I believe for spot shrimp...

You better have some $$ if you wanna go shrimping...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Freshwater Shrimp? :-)

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:57 am

I don't think you want to eat freshwater shrimp(Daphnia). Too small and may not be edible - just like the freshwater clams. I heard the freshwater clams will make you sick. Leave the freshwater shrimp to the fish.

Tug's the Drug
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Sorry for getting smart. I couldn't resist joking around. I haven't fished saltwater very much lately. However, I hear that the Edmunds area is good. Talk to a Sportsman shop about it and put your shrimp pot or trap near some of the others. I've got a couple and haven't used them in years. Maybe I'll get back into crabing this year. Doesn't shrimp only open for a few days.
Tug's the Drug

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:23 pm

GPC,
Port Susan, outside Friday harbor, Lots of good spots. how far do you want to go? Spots are the best if you're in an area that's open. The little guy's are too much pick'in for me. Usually a deep channel that has lots of current to keep the food moving.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Palmer wrote:I don't think you want to eat freshwater shrimp(Daphnia). Too small and may not be edible - just like the freshwater clams. I heard the freshwater clams will make you sick. Leave the freshwater shrimp to the fish.
A few years ago, a freshwater clam latched on to a worm I was letting set out. I threw it on the campfire grill for s's and g's, and tons of worms starting crawling out of it. I almost hurled just looking at it. :-# :-# :-#
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Same thing happened to me at Fish Lake. The clam was the size of a razor clam.
Tug's the Drug