biggest fish of my life caught 6-22-08

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dave
Commodore

biggest fish of my life caught 6-22-08

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:41 am

Hey everyone,

Folks sometimes share their trip experiences in the Forums section to include photographs. Because the biggest fish I have ever caught is only a 12 pound King in area 8-2, I have not been able to go to the “biggest fish you have ever caught” forum which is kind of a bummer. Until today: Although I submitted a detailed report in the salt area (area 8-2) I wanted to take this opportunity to share with everyone that I was fortunate enough to go on a Sturgeon fishing trip with a good friend of mine who is also a guide, out on the sound last Sunday, and I caught the biggest fish of my life. Although we didn’t boat this fish for up close and personal pictures, we did get some great pics and it was the biggest fishing fight of my life. I never knew that these monster fish live right at my door step and can be caught during any minus tide when in season. I was sworn to secrecy on the exact location which isn’t my style but I promised so my apologies. I would however tell someone where this was if I was in person with them and they didn’t tell everyone they know. For details on the trip, have a look at the report in area 8-2 of the salt section. I submitted the report last night (it’s been a busy work week) so if it’s not there as I write in this forum, it should be there sometime today. Here are a few pics. If I never catch another fish, I could live with that after this recent battle. The fish was estimated at over 7' long and 90+ pounds. It is believed that this fish was also around 90 years old. As always, good luck fishin.
Attachments
IMG_1758_Medium.jpg
IMG_1758_Medium.jpg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
IMG_1744_Medium.jpg
IMG_1744_Medium.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
IMG_1743_Medium.jpg
IMG_1743_Medium.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
IMG_1750_Medium.jpg
IMG_1750_Medium.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:biggest fish of my life caught 6-22-08

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am

Holy crap hats a nice fish! Way to go Dave!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 am

What is it? Man that pole is bending! How exciting.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:37 am

It’s a Sturgeon. Sorry I forgot to put that in my narrative. I just edited my post. It was the most exciting fight of my life, 30 minutes, didn't see the fish for the first 20 minutes, and there were several long runs. We had to chase the monster down with the motor to regain the line and position the boat for the fight. That's a G Loomis 10' rod. I thought it was going to snap but my buddy told me to keep the pressure on so I did. It was way toooooo fun!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks for the report. I once saw a large sturgeon cruising by the dock, at that park in your fourth pic.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:09 pm

:cheers: Man Dave,, that is quite the story/event! It is so cool to have that kind of a fishing story happen to you as an adult. All my really "Great ones" stories seemed to have happend as a teenager, and they get foggier with each passing year. I sure hope I can hook into something like that one day. Congrats.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:23 pm

I've seen your buddy's ads on CL and have been thinking about booking a trip to learn this fishery. Your post makes me want to even more now. What's the keeper size restrictions on those in the salt - or is it all C&R?
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Hey Drewp,

My buddy is a super nice guy. Although I wasn't a "paying guest" on his brand new $60,000.00, 25' Alumaweld guide boat which is equipped with every bell and whistle you could ever imagine including a sink that keeps water hot so you can wash your hands, he also baited our hooks all day and ran the boat and anchors refusing our continued offers to help out. He provides all gear and it is all top of the line stuff. The rod I was using was a 300.00 G Loomis with a very nice reel and the best braided line and special leaders ect ect. Keepers are between 42 and 60 inches. My buddy Doug (seen attempting to land this fish) tells me our trip was very slow fishing wise and that during the best part of the season which has already passed us this year (as far as the salt goes) he tells me they usually catch 4 to 6 fish per trip and some are often keepers. If you haven't tasted the meat of a sturgeon, it is in my opinion bar-none the best fish out there. It even spanks halibut. If you boil it in like 2 inch squares, it tastes close to lobster and when grilled, baked, or fried in butter, it tastes amazing and has the texture of a New York steak. Anyways, I'm not sure if I am allowed to post my friend's guide info on this site so if anyone is interested in a trip, I am happy to provide you with his information. I will also post it if Mike gives me the okay. If you read the side of his boat, that might be a hint. Shad_Eating_Grin, sounds like you know where this is at. Good for you. PM me if you like. Also, I believe that by buddy told me that his half day trips are 125.00 and full day is 175.00. He is in Stanwood and fishes all the rivers and the Sound. He works full time (same profession as myself) so he fishes on his 3 days off which are Sunday, Monday, and Tuesdays. He hopes to one day guide full time.
Attachments
IMG_1752_Medium.jpg
IMG_1752_Medium.jpg (66.45 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:18 pm

VERY NICE DAVE. WE FISH THE COLUMBIA NEAR THE SANDBAR FROM ILWACO, AND HAVE LIMITED 3 YEARS IN A ROW, WITH NUMEROUS "BIGUNS" RELEASED. IT IS AMAZING TO SEE A 6' FISH TAILWALK (AND YOUR THINKING THE WHOLE TIME THE LINE IS GOING TO BREAK). AND AS FAR AS, EATING!!! JUST AS GOOD AS WALLEYE AND HALIBUT!! GREAT JOB MAN!!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:44 pm

Funny you mention thinking the line is going to break. I thought that for most of the fight. In fact I really didn't think we would even see the fish it ran so much. When it finally surfaced, it did some splashing and I thought for sure it would be gone.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:42 pm

YEPPERS, I ALMOST CRAPPED MY PANTS THE FIRST TIME I HAD ON A 52-INCHER, AND, IT CAME OUT OF THE WATER BY THE BOAT, TAILWALKED RIGHT BY US!! I KEPT ASKING THE GUIDE FROM PACIFIC SALMON CHARTERS IF WE SHOULD BE USING 100 LB. TEST, AND, HE KEPT LAUGHING!! ALOT OF FOLKS HAVE THE MISCONCEPTION THAT THEY ARE LIKE HALI'S, AND, JUST FEEL LIKE PULLING A PIANO UP FROM THE BOTTOM OF A SWIMPOOL, BUT, THEY FIGHT LIKE HECK!!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:57 pm

So true. This fish ran like a huge king salmon and only stopped when it was about 150 feet from us, (line counter on the reel). We were in about 7 feet of water during the fight so he had to run out away from us instead of down under us.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 am

Great report Dave. Congrats on the Sturgeon and BIG fish. Now you have that big fish story to tell. I'm still looking to catch my first sturgeon. I hope my first time is as successful as yours. Nice job. And your buddies boat looks sick.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kavykid2k6
Warrant Officer

Post by kavykid2k6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:08 am

nice fish! i have personaly never fished for them in the salt, but i have heard a couple of tricks to fiding them.i have never caught an over size in the stilly but looks like you can get them out in the salt!
Fishing the waters of the stilly, sky and snoho and the lakes of
North Snohomish county-- and my pond

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:33 am

My very first time I sturgeon fished I was on the Mighty Chehalis. When I seen the bite I was amazed at how much it reminded me of Channel cat fishing. The pole bent over and my brother said ok he's almost ready. Pick the pole up but dont pull on the line. The bite continues for about anouther minute and then my brother tells me to set the hook. I felt the weight of a fish on the end of the line but didnt think the fish was that big cause it was coming in to easy. ...........Until it seen the boat. The fish took off soooo frickin fast and you could tell the fish was a huge fish cause the pole was bent double. The line starting peeling across the top of the water and my brother says its going to jump and just as he said that the fish came completely out of the water about 100' from the boat..............that fish was between 10'-12' long. I could not put my arms around it boddy if I wanted to. Just as the sturgeon was coming down the hooks released. Im not jokking I had to sit down I was so shaken. Needless to say from that day sturgeon fishing has been my all time favorite fish to catch and why I bought the boat that I did.

CraigVM62
Petty Officer

Post by CraigVM62 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Great Story .... I think it just gave you a taste of fishing for big Sturgeon. Have you thought of hitting the Columbia? Soon you won't be calling them "Large Fish" as "Monsters" will seem more appropriate.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I think it all depends on the quantity of bait u use. If you tye up a whole shad and chuck the baby out with a 8oz weight, your definitely not gonna catch a baby. My dad has actually reeled in a 16' Sturgeon up to our 16' boat. It was amazing, sad thing was, it wasnt up long enough to take a picture. As soon as it hit the surface, Boom! back down she went, had to cut the line because it had took 6hrs to reel her up in the first place and we were all tired. He was using 100lb test, but i dont think you need anything over 25 or 30 when fishing for 7'ers. I use 10lb for dinks and im trying 30lb braid right now for keepers. Not to easy to catch sturgeon off bank neither, but im shore bound.

Great story though Dave, cant wait to hear your next 1.

"Soon you won't be calling them "Large Fish" as "Monsters" will seem more appropriate."
Very appropriately said Craig =d>
If in doubt set the hook!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:31 pm

I was surprised to find that they were in the salt. I am told by my buddy that they come into the salt from the rivers during low or minus tides to feed, then return to the fresh water when the tide comes in. I was also told it is not uncommon where I was fishing to see them "tailing" on the surface and that numbers in this area during a minus tide can be in the hundred fish range. I was also told that in this area the best time of year is in May so I will be sure to go again next May. I can't wait. I've heard from some of you and some not on this site about these fish being caught much larger than 7 feet. I can't imagine that. This fish I caught was almost more than I could handle and I am a big guy and not lacking in the strength department. Had this fish been bigger, I would have had to hand the pole of to the guy who was taking the pictures. Anyway, it was a great experience I hope to have again.