Lingcod fishing- Edmonds Breakwater

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
matador
Petty Officer

Lingcod fishing- Edmonds Breakwater

Post by matador » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:10 am

I've been skunked the last two Ling openers at Possesion and Hat so this opener I thought I'd give the Edmonds breakwater a shot.

Does anyone know how the ling fishing is there?
What depth?
Is it better to fish it on incoming or outgoing tide?

Thanks

kutthroatkilla
Commander

RE:Lingcod fishing- Edmonds Breakwater

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 am

matador wrote:I've been skunked the last two Ling openers at Possesion and Hat so this opener I thought I'd give the Edmonds breakwater a shot.

Does anyone know how the ling fishing is there?
Hey matador...I'm looking to go fish this too. Perhaps we can fish together and figure something out. The under water dive park which is off limits to anglers is loaded with huge 5 foot long lings... I know about this fishery (Edmonds breakwater) and it's pretty brutal trying to get position. There are some nice fish down there...45-80 feet...I catch some small soles by the Edmonds fuel dock and use them for live bait...I don't snag nearly as much. PM me if you want and we can discuss the details. I too got skunked last year, but hear the Edmonds Marina breakwater is a place worth seriously trying, especially if you don't have a large boat like myself.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 pm

How do you guys rig your lingcod set-ups using live bait in Puget Sound? What is the standard way to rig this up? I'm trying to shy away from lead head jigs with motor oil grubbs on them due to the all the snags. Just wondering how you all rig live bait (sole, flounder, pile perch) for these lings...thanks guys!

Here's an article I found:

http://www.sportsmanshow.net/Articles/article12.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Well the most productive for me and my dad is trolling yes trolling a flasher and a hoochie with a strip of herring and we released a five foot ling doing that

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:13 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Well the most productive for me and my dad is trolling yes trolling a flasher and a hoochie with a strip of herring and we released a five foot ling doing that
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! We'll have a blast! My boat should be sweet for this...run about 20MPH and we'll nail em there Fishingmachine! It should be fun! I'll bring a lot of gear as well. I will PM you for all the details on it rather than using this thread. It should be a good time!

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Along with trolling we have done well using scampis and dart jigs

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Tide doesn't matter too much...I just like to avoid fishing for them when the tide is really ripping, cause it's a complete struggle to keep your gear under the boat when you drift that fast...

The earlier you get out there in the season, the better. Pressure really picks the hot spots clean and the first week or two is really good, weather permitting....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
The earlier you get out there in the season, the better. Pressure really picks the hot spots clean and the first week or two is really good, weather permitting....
Yep, that's what I was thinking Sam. Thank goodness for a Thursday May 1st Opener...a weekday! Probably not as much pressure as say, a Saturday...so I'll be out there on the 1st and 2nd off Edmonds... and Elliot Bay with FM come the 3rd and 4th of May. I can't run too far in my little boat but there are some areas real close that will hold fish. That Edmonds oil dock has tons of little sole and flounder and I'll use them for live bait... I'm sure we'll come across at least one :cheers:

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Yep and all you really need is one ling and that lasts a little while with two nice fillets

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:01 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Yep and all you really need is one ling and that lasts a little while with two nice fillets
I was told that just a banana weight with a leader to the live bait using 6/0 or 9/0 hooks thru the head and then tail works the best. Keep it simple is what I was told. This I will do...rather than snagging all that expensive gear...SIMPLE. Should be a blast...let's just pray for good weather...today was brutal...winds 25G35 most all day!

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:05 pm

yeah and u can also rig up a cutplug that drives the lings crazy but find something that works and stick with it

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:06 pm

fishingmachine wrote:yeah and u can also rig up a cutplug that drives the lings crazy but find something that works and stick with it
Ah, that's good advice. I'll try that when I go out there on the 1st. Thanks FM. For the first time I'll be submitting a Saltwater Report...I don't think I ever have :-"

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Yeah imagine the suprise me and my dad got trolling for salmon and catching a 5 foot ling on a hoochie and herring so they obviously like it and if nothing else produces u can always try jigs

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Just a reminder to pinch down your barbs on your hooks... barbless hooks required for all species in Puget Sound (except for forage fish)

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:Just a reminder to pinch down your barbs on your hooks... barbless hooks required for all species in Puget Sound (except for forage fish)
I remember this...thanks for bringing that back up. There will be enforcement out there for sure. Pinch, pinch, pinch!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:07 am

A guy I used to worked with nailed a nice keeper ling on the second day of the season off Edmonds pier. He used a 3oz jighead with a white grub smeared with Pautzke's Gel Krill. Slowly bumbed back in off the bottom...

I believe gpc uses the Pautzke Gel Krill stuff and likes it for all species if I'm remembering correctly...

Lings will take anything really. They aren't super picky. If they are hungry and see something, they'll take it. Guys who do a lot of lingcod fishing make their own jigs out of copper pipes. It's simply a copper pipe about the width of a finger/thumb, filled up with cement with a hook on one end and an eye on the other for a line to be attached...It's a very economical way to catch lings, cause your losing gear constantly and making these jigs isn't too expensive.

Be sure to post a report if you do go. This site is seriously lacking in the Saltwater department, and I know the site is WashingtonLAKES, but many of us also fish the salt so it's nice to have information of all sorts available here..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:01 am

For the past 3 years I've been fishing the Edmond's breakwater for lings. It is a very, very popular spot due to it being published as a "hot spot" every year in Washington Hunting and Fishing News. With that being said, I catching lings here thru the summer fishing season though most are undersized.

Kutthroatkilla: If your definite about fishing the Edmond's Breakwater, fish opening day well before daylight with a 4 to 10 inch glowing bait.......and you will be sending me a "thank you pm.":santa:

This year my kayak and I will be fishing the "Bait Box" area on Possession Point for lings. Better structure. Less pressure. And protection from the wind. I believe their is a launch pad right by the box. Not that I have any launching issues.

Anyways, Good Luck and watch the TEETH!

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:10 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Be sure to post a report if you do go. This site is seriously lacking in the Saltwater department, and I know the site is WashingtonLAKES, but many of us also fish the salt so it's nice to have information of all sorts available here..
That's my plan Sam Kafelafish...post, post, post, on the saltwater reports page. It'll be my first, but I'll be out there on first light on May 1st which is a Thursday, woo-hoo! :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:13 am

kayak chris wrote: Kutthroatkilla: If your definite about fishing the Edmond's Breakwater, fish opening day well before daylight with a 4 to 10 inch glowing bait.......and you will be sending me a "thank you pm.":santa:
Sounds good kayak chris. Due to boat restraints (I have a tiny boat and motor) fishing here makes the most sense to me. I'm sure I can pick up some little flounder and use them for live bait there by Edmonds...I'll be sure to get out there at first light and fish on the 1st, because after that 3-4th weekend, they get fished out and get spooky very quick! After watching a video on how to fish for them, and all my years of fishing for them in B.C. I'm sure I'll catch some fish. I'm going with the lead head jigs in white and motor oil and then those Storm Shad baits work well off a tuna rig sliding weight or banana weight then leader to live bait... Thanks again!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.