8-2 Memorial Day Lingcod

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Floater
Petty Officer

8-2 Memorial Day Lingcod

Post by The Floater » Mon May 14, 2007 4:21 pm

I am taking some guys out for lings on memorial Day weekend, and am looking for some advice. While I have never specifically targeted this species, I have caught many small lings in 8-2 when fishing for Rockfish and even Salmon in some areas. I hear that the best places are Tip of Camano and South of Gedney. Is this accurate? What are the average sizes of fish caught? Will a standard "Green Label" herring mooching setup work? Is there something that works better? What depths will produce successfully? Times of Day/tide? Any other tips? Your help is hugely appreciated, as I would like to show these people a good time. Stay tuned to the reports 8-1/8-2 page after Memorial, and I will let you know how I did.
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Rizzla
Petty Officer

RE:8-2 Memorial Day Lingcod

Post by Rizzla » Mon May 14, 2007 4:34 pm

well first off you should not be targetin rock fish anymore unless you kno the regs for your area. rock fish are consider endangered kind of rite now in washington. the fish take so long to mature and respawn that the are over fished and need to be under conservational law. you are only allow 1 in must of washington waters rite now. and that is really for a buffer. where you catch one by accident fishing for lings.

also read the regs buts in my region lings are a minimum size of 26 inches and maximum of 40 inches. you are allow to use live bait for live minnows and sea perch but the trick how ever is your are supposed to catch em yourself. if you chose to fish lings with live bait you are allow two poles in the water. one the lings because you hook and sinker that first pole and you can use a second to catch sea perch. but like i said check the regs cuz it was like that last year. could be different this year.

im not really familiar with the rule this year because i usually just jig for them. you can go to any sporting good store and have them point you directly to the lingcod stuff. i normally use a jig head about 1 to 2 oz. and a 6 to 7 inch worm with curly tail. they have a few different kinds so go check em out. me and my dad usually go with a single curly tail but my dads caught lings with the double tailed ones too. DARKER colors for jigs tho. thast a must. go with dark browns to blacks shades. purples are good too.

but truthfully if you read the information about the fish you will find out that these fish eat watever they can get there sharp mouths on. any and everything. but from wat i see most people jig for em. PS. buy extra jigs heads and steel leaders cuz if you dont snag it on the rocks the ling will big em off.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 14, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Tue May 15, 2007 12:39 pm

If you want to fish for Rockfish, lings, Crab. Why dont you fish off the north or south jetties in Greys Harbor. There is not a shortage of fish there and its a good place to spend the weekend.

The Floater
Petty Officer

Post by The Floater » Wed May 23, 2007 10:56 am

Well....not quite the response I was looking for. I have full capability of looking at the other posting "Where to fish for Lingcod". I appreciate your concern for our waters, and please note that I am fully aware of the rules and regs in 8-2. For the next couple weeks you are allowed 1 copper rockfish per day. In previous years (i have been fishing these waters for over 15 years) these rules were not always so conservative, along with all the other species in this water. We used to fish for all species - Rockfish, kings, silvers, and catch an abundance. However I have never targeted the areas of 8-2 which are known for the Lings. If anyone reading this has any info about the 8-2 lings, I am still listening - whether the season is over or not. (Not that I will be fishing after the season - I would just still like some more info). I am going to give it a go this weekend, so wish me luck.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Wed May 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Floater,

I'm no expert when it comes to lings, but from what I hear in 8-2, the south side of Hat (Gedney) Island, as well as the south side of Whidbey can produce. Also, I've heard of them being caught up around Camano, but not sure specifically where. Gotta find rocks or shipwrecks, which is a bit easier said than done without top of the line electronics.

Good Luck! Hopefully we'll get to see some pics....
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."