Sanddabs and Greenlings

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jdimonda
Petty Officer

Sanddabs and Greenlings

Post by jdimonda » Thu May 10, 2007 7:39 pm

What are they and how do you catch them? Everyone says the bait to use for lings are sanddabs and greenlings and I don't know how or where to get them. Help greatly appreciated.

bassmaster123
Petty Officer

RE:Sanddabs and Greenlings

Post by bassmaster123 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:55 am

greenling can be cught at like kelp beds and rocky areas sand dabs are like little flunders so they like sandy bottems.

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Fri May 11, 2007 10:59 am

small plastics and shallow water (10 to 30 feet).....

sand bottom for the sanddabs and rocky bottoms and kelpy water for the greenlings and brownlings..

they is everywhere... (just remember... they've changed the rules recently.... limits on these things used to
be 15 in combination.... but in areas 5 thru 13 the limits are now 2 per species.... so be gentle with the resource....
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

gon2fsh
Petty Officer

Post by gon2fsh » Fri May 11, 2007 8:27 pm

For Sanddabs I use small white jigs with a blue heads, a 1/0 hook and a 3 ounce weight. I soak them in herring juice for 2 to 3 days before I go out. I fish in 30 to 40 feet of water with a flat bottom. good luck!