Looking For Advice: Petersburg, AK Fishing Trip in August 2019

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Looking For Advice: Petersburg, AK Fishing Trip in August 2019

Post by ryan2202 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:33 am

I'm wondering if anyone has done a self-guided fishing adventure to Petersburg, AK. I am planning a trip for my Dad's 60th Bday, he is a long-time outdoorsman, and a bucket list item to fish in AK. We are fitted up with a self-guide Lodge up there, and wondering if anyone has any advice, or has been fishing around Petersburg? Since we are going in August, 1st full week, they show silvers and halibut as targeted species that will be best to fish for. King run will be winding down a bit.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it very much. As this is our first trip to AK, if there are pointers, even POI, to explore, open to hear any and all advice. The lodge mentioned that new folks take a day or two to locate the fish, while to locals and return customers find them right away.

Thanks! Keep'em tight!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Looking For Advice: Petersburg, AK Fishing Trip in August 2019

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:25 am

I looked hard at the same Petersburg operation you mention 3yrs ago when we were considering our first trip to SE AK. We decided instead, based on input from several people living in AK, to bypass that option for our first ever AK fishing trip.

We had such a great time with the outfitter we chose, we went back the following year. You can see pics of our trips and reports in the Fishing Reports section.

We're talking about going again this year if our budget allows, if so, we'll be back with same outfitter as previous two times.

Hope you and your dad have a great time! [thumbsup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System