Puget Sound Coho regs for this season - clip vrs. unclipped...

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Puget Sound Coho regs for this season - clip vrs. unclipped...

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 am

Am I reading the regs correctly?

daily limit is two coho. Area 8.2 and 10 you can keep clipped or unclipped fish, but Area 9 you can only keep clipped. So much for simplifying the regs…

Anyone else getting a different interpretation?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Re: Puget Sound Coho regs for this season - clip vrs. unclipped...

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:52 am

You have it right Mike.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:28 am

I'm not sure how a clumsy rule like this is even enforceable. But if I have an unmarked fish in my boat caught in either 8-2 or 10, I don't think I would fish in 9.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:35 pm

If your fishing in 9 with a unclipped fish in the boat you will be in trouble. The fish in the boat have to be legal for the area you are fishing in. You could move thru but not fish.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:24 pm

I noticed that as well and wondered how it would apply if I caught non-clipped in 8-2 or 10 and fish 9 for that last one and am pulled aside. I guess I could always take a picture of the fish and a picture of the location from my cell phone. Maybe if my gps current location is on with the phone... the data would be encoded into the picture at least... just an idea/wondering out loud...

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:15 am

Page 4 under YOU MAY NOT•
Fish for, or harvest fish or shellfish in an area with catch in your possession that does not meet the rules of that area. However, you may pass through such an area without stopping to fish. Also, you may catch fish in one area and land them at a port in a different area even if that different area is closed or has different rules, with the exception of landing HALIBUT in a closed area, or landing BOTTOMFISH

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:39 am

Good call! I guess the WDFW just doesn't trust us to be honest! Think I'll spend most of time fishing in 8-2 or 10. Probably 10 since I keep my boat at Edmonds. I haven't been out for Silvers yet. Fishchecker reports haven't been much. Even CQ and PA haven't shown much on those reports.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Like Barchaser I will mostly be in 8-2 or 10 unless catching off the Edmonds pier. So far all my boat fish except 1 has been coho... in 10.