Natives given the “ok” to kill seals?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Natives given the “ok” to kill seals?

Post by salmonkiller » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 am

I was recently at a local outdoor sports store and I was talking to employee about the seal issue in the Puget Sound area. He told me the Native tribes have been given the ok to kill them to protect the killer whale population.

I did a quick google search but could find anything.

Has anyone else herd of this?

jd39
Commander

Re: Natives given the “ok” to kill seals?

Post by jd39 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 am

Have not heard that but would be happy if it were true, don't think it is though. It'd take an update to the Marine Mammals protection act I believe.

In a bit of good news on this front:
http://komonews.com/news/local/us-house ... -sea-lions

Hope it passes the senate. Only wish it allowed for removals as necessary instead of the cap at 100.

Overall there appears to be some momentum on the seal/sea lion front. Hope it continues and results in action.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:39 am

That's just one part of the problem, what about Puget Sound!!!!!!!!!!

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Hear you trophy and agree. Gotta start somewhere though and hopefully this cracks the door open to start actively managing seal and sea lion populations as part of salmon recovery efforts state wide. The MMPA has done it's job for their populations, they're recovered, we need to transition to active management now. I see that legislation as a first step in that direction. At least I hope it is.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:00 pm

It sure would be nice if we could teach the Killer Whales to feast on the local seals as other pods do.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am

You bet. Our Orcas are kinda wussy. I guess they never heard of sealburgers. The seals better look out though since now have a paintball gun!

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:06 pm

An interesting video on the subject.

http://www.savefamilyfarming.org/chinook-recovery.html

The explosion in our Puget Sound seal population could very well be the catalyst for our declining chinook stocks.