Winter Surf Perch

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jake_k
Warrant Officer

Winter Surf Perch

Post by jake_k » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:35 pm

hello all,

I am headed to long beach wa over the new years vacation. I have caught surf perch during the summer but never during the winter. Is there anything different I can be doing during the winter vs. the summer as i walk down the beach

Thank you

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Winter Surf Perch

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Well, all I can tell you is what I have seen from the plethora of vids I watched on Wa and Or surf fishing. Looks the same except colder. And may rain. And the Ocean ‘may’ be a bit angrier at times and send a rogue wave your way... From what I have seen guys use everything from shrimp to Roostertails and catch fish all year long. But not all the time.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:55 pm

I do this a fair amount, and time of year has made no difference. If you aren’t getting fish, then keep moving. Just extra careful in the surf.
I think those Berkley gulp sandworms are as good as anyhing, and they stay on your hook.

Pretty easy fishery.

rdnzl
Petty Officer

Post by rdnzl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Good fishing in the wintertime, but as stated above, be VERY careful. Rogues waves, and even driftwood and other junk can knock you down. I have done quite well between Grayland and Tokeland.