Winter fishing question.

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kwonkai234
Angler

Winter fishing question.

Post by kwonkai234 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 am

I'm new to fishing in Washington and conning from Hawaii I have no idea what to fish during the winter times. Could some of you experienced anglers share some wisdom on what kind of fishing to do from now til spring time?

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Winter fishing question.

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 am

Depends on freshwater or saltwater. If saltwater, The Sound or Ocean? One thing you will want to do is study the regulations. They are going to be (I am sure) WAY more messy than you are used to...

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 am

Also - where do you live and how far are you willing to travel and do you have a boat, canoe, float tube or is it going to be shore fishing only?

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

Regulations can also be tough over the winter time, so make sure to grab a regulation pamphlet or look online. There are a decent number of lowland lake opportunities, and some big rivers are open for chum salmon. It just depends on where you are located in WA.

kwonkai234
Angler

Post by kwonkai234 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Sorry for not being specific. I'm currently in Marysville. And I dont own a boat so mostly shore fishing. I prefer saltwater fishing but I'm totally open to fresh water as well. I just want to fish lol!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm

kwonkai234 wrote:Sorry for not being specific. I'm currently in Marysville. And I dont own a boat so mostly shore fishing. I prefer saltwater fishing but I'm totally open to fresh water as well. I just want to fish lol!
You are in a decent location, (Marysville). You have a cluster of lakes nearby. Seach out Lake Goodwynn. A strong lake for large rainbows, and decent bass. (I'm not a fan of winter bass fishing). but that's me. Surrounding Goodwynn is 1/2 dozen lakes worth reading up on within the lake reports section of this site.
AGAIN, CHECK REGS. regarding year round season vs. Apr-Oct season. Lake Cassidy, near you is decent.
Bu what is really cool, is that you are right near the salt water mouth to places like the Stillaguamish river, Steamboat slough, Ebey slough, etc. all that brackish salt water shoreline. I love to explore that kind of stuff.
Seek out interesting things like that. :cheers:
The lakes planted by the state will become boring very quickly.

(Your happiness quotient will go up exponentially if you at least get a float tube. Many lakes are limited to one little dock, or no shoreline. Imagine pushing of in tube, and saying goodbye to the limitations of a dock. :-"

kwonkai234
Angler

Post by kwonkai234 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 am

The Quadfather wrote:
kwonkai234 wrote:Sorry for not being specific. I'm currently in Marysville. And I dont own a boat so mostly shore fishing. I prefer saltwater fishing but I'm totally open to fresh water as well. I just want to fish lol!
You are in a decent location, (Marysville). You have a cluster of lakes nearby. Seach out Lake Goodwynn. A strong lake for large rainbows, and decent bass. (I'm not a fan of winter bass fishing). but that's me. Surrounding Goodwynn is 1/2 dozen lakes worth reading up on within the lake reports section of this site.
AGAIN, CHECK REGS. regarding year round season vs. Apr-Oct season. Lake Cassidy, near you is decent.
Bu what is really cool, is that you are right near the salt water mouth to places like the Stillaguamish river, Steamboat slough, Ebey slough, etc. all that brackish salt water shoreline. I love to explore that kind of stuff.
Seek out interesting things like that. :cheers:
The lakes planted by the state will become boring very quickly.

(Your happiness quotient will go up exponentially if you at least get a float tube. Many lakes are limited to one little dock, or no shoreline. Imagine pushing of in tube, and saying goodbye to the limitations of a dock. :-"
Wow thank you for the reply. I eventually plan on getting a kayak so hopefully that spices things up. What do people usually catch on the brackish shoreline? Ive only done saltwater fishing in Hawaii where things are year round lol.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Check your PM's.