Westport Jetty Help!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dustyfisher007
Petty Officer

Westport Jetty Help!

Post by dustyfisher007 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Ok Fisherpeople,

I was at Westport this weekend and failed miserably trying to get into some rockfish. I was attemping to jig a 1.5oz jighead and green speckled double tail grub and a white double tail grub. Nothing.

Quite frankly, i didnt know what i was doing and foolishly didnt ask anyone on the jetty. Everybody seemed to be fairly secretive about what ever they were doing.

Tons of people were using herring and bobbers, almost looked like the herring were live, not sure though. i hope to go back out there in a coule weeks and would love some tips, how to's, and general help!

I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Re: Westport Jetty Help!

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:18 pm

I've had better success with smaller jigs for the rockfish. Usually about 1/4 ounce. 1/2 ounce max.

Use smaller plastics-- 3 inches max--I like curl tail grubs in 2 inch or 3-inch sizes. Never had much luck with the bigger plastics.

Use lighter colors.

Basically, the black rockfish are fish-eaters. Match the hatch of herring, anchovies, etc. by using lighter colors that you can jig up and down in the water column to mimic a baitfish.

Heavy jig heads sink too fast. Dark colors don't match the hatch--but may get you hits from cabezon or ling cod that feed on small greenling, sculpins, blennies etc. that are darker in color and are hanging out closer to the bottom and rocks.

Other tips: water current speed might require you to use heavier jig heads. Also, when the fish are not there, you gotta look for them. Try adding a small piece of squid (about thumbnail size) on your jig hook for added flavor and scent.

dustyfisher007
Petty Officer

Post by dustyfisher007 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks I appreciate the info!!

SeatoSummit88
Petty Officer

Post by SeatoSummit88 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:17 am

Hey dustyfisher007,

In addition to Shad's tips; you can also try fishing with live anchovies. A lot of people use jig heads with soft plastics and that works great; sometimes they will target bait over jigs; everything is dependent on what's going on below the surface. The secret to the jetty is, work different areas and find spots that have good standing platforms mixed with nice holes in front of where your standing. If you put something smelly down there, you will at least catch something; that's the best part about salt fishing. Keep trying.

dustyfisher007
Petty Officer

Post by dustyfisher007 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:08 am

Any recommendations on where to get the anchovies?

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:17 am

They should have them at the bait dock by all the fishing charter boats. At least that is where the captain got them when I went out on a charter a few years ago.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:30 am

I'm a master of that jetty. Search the forum for my posts, you'll figure it out. Lots of guys don't believe me until they fish with me, and then they believe. I believe there's an article in the article section still that I wrote a few years back. I got a bunch of hate mail from the locals on the jetty for that, because I gave away the "secret" techniques that work better than anything.

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:14 pm

natetreat wrote:I'm a master of that jetty. Search the forum for my posts, you'll figure it out. Lots of guys don't believe me until they fish with me, and then they believe. I believe there's an article in the article section still that I wrote a few years back. I got a bunch of hate mail from the locals on the jetty for that, because I gave away the "secret" techniques that work better than anything.
^ this man speaks the truth... Damn Nate where ya been? Haven't seen any posts from you in a while.

dustyfisher007
Petty Officer

Post by dustyfisher007 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:01 am

I read your article, very informative! I can see why the locals got pissed. I will be trying your method whenever I get back out there.