Downrigger rods?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HereToFish
Petty Officer

Downrigger rods?

Post by HereToFish » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:01 pm

What should I look for in a downrigger rod? [confused]

jonb
Commander

Re: Downrigger rods?

Post by jonb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:56 pm

id say sensitivy is a very important factor, the hits on a downrigger can be very subtle due to there being a big weight, hard to see sometimes, a more sensitive rod will allow you to see those hits better. i see alot of guys using baitcasters for trolling and that seems pretty logical, they are very easy to get in and out of the rod holder.
so id suggest a medium action baitcaster suited for the fishery you plan to troll. my knowledge of fishing the sound is limited though, and likely youll get better advice from others on this.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:43 am

Ultimately what you want in a downrigger rod is durability and for the rod to load up throughout its length when properly set. Typical casting rods are made of graphite and top loaded so they aren't the best choice for downrigger use.

To be honest, you don't need to spend a lot of money on a downrigger rod, if you do you are likely to be disappointed when it breaks. Sensitivity, the ability of the rod to transmit the feel of the take of a fish to the person holding the rod, is not a necessary quality. Instead, you are looking for a soft tip action that progressively stiffens down the length of the rod to the butt section. The term parabolic arch is commonly used to describe the desired action of a downrigger rod. The softer tip section is what will help signal a slight bite by a smaller fish, the take of a larger fish is unmistakable. I prefer to use fiberglass rods or Uglystiks with my downriggers. They can handle the abuse of being loaded to near max capacity without any ill effects.

Is there a particular species of fish you are after? For salmon, the Lamiglass Classic Glass and UglyStik Big Water Downrigger rods are a great value. If you are at a store that has either one of them, check out their action by having someone hold the tip wile you lift the butt section. This should give you and idea of what to look for in a rod of this type.

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:18 pm

I disagree that sensitivity is an issue for the rod and agree with G-man. You want a soft rod that can handle the bending and strain you are going to put on it. You almost want the rod tip touching the water. With the tension that is put on the line and rod, you won't have any difficulty seeing any strikes that don't pop the line out of the clip. I think choice number one is a fiberglass rod. Choice two would be a fiberglass/graphite mixture. You do not want 100% graphite rod. And I agree you do not need an expensive rod either.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:47 pm

I agree with the ugly stick big water G-Man mentioned. Thats become my new favorite over my Okumas, Abu Garcias, Shimano and Diawa set ups.

HereToFish
Petty Officer

Post by HereToFish » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:30 am

It sounds like I will be going shopping, I have at least a dozen rods and none of them seem right.
All of the medium action rods I have are too stiff. I have a lighter one I may try until I can get a better rod, its a cheap one and not much of a loss if it breaks.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:48 am

Daiwa Wilderness Downrigger rods are cheap and do the trick. Have had mine for 7 years or so and it works great. Got it for $10 on sale at Outdoor Emporium.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:54 am

3footvis wrote:Daiwa Wilderness Downrigger rods are cheap and do the trick. Have had mine for 7 years or so and it works great. Got it for $10 on sale at Outdoor Emporium.
This is a great example of a perfectly serviceable downrigger rod. It is a bit on the bulky/heavy side, but for what you pay for them, they work great.

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:26 pm

I've been really happy with my Shimano TDRs, though I've never used any of the higher-end Lamiglass Classic Glass etc...

That said, one of them is developing some stress cracks in the bottom portion where the top half slides in.

steeleywhopper
Petty Officer

Post by steeleywhopper » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:50 am

Here's my take.
I have used a 8-6 Ugly stick for the last 10 years with great success. This year I got a smoking deal on a Fetha Styx downrigger rod. I will not ever fish another ugly stick unless its the 8-20lb rated rods for Baker lake sockeye. The Fetha Styx rod is amazing! It loads up great, it's light, it has a reel seat that is not going to come loose. I cannot say enought about it. My buddy also picked one up and he loves it. Can you use cheap rod? Absolutely, Can you use Ugly Sticks? Absolutely. I found something that works better and I will not ever change it. I don't do drugs, I don't gamble, I don't drink, I fish and I hunt. I am going to spend some money on quality equiptment and it has made my fishing more comfortable and im finding I am landing more fish with rods designed for downrigger fishing.
Take this for what it's worth as it's only my opinion.

Fishjager
Angler

Post by Fishjager » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:03 am

I agree with Fetha Styk I have a few of their down rigger rods. I am glad that I bought them when I did. I hear that Fetha is going out of business. The rod is light and sensitive, giving you great fighting fun. They became very expensive when Bill the previous owner sold out to the current owners. Maybe, we can hope that Bill will come back and re-establish the company.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:17 am

I have prob have 8-9 rods I use on the downrigger. The last few years I've been using Berkley Buzz Ramsey rods that I bought on sale when GI Joes was still around. They have worked pretty well. I also some Ugly Sticks that are heavier and I use mostly for Chinooks. You don't need the expensive rods. I almost bought a Loomis rod once to use on the DR. But the guy at the store told me not to since pure graphite rods may take a set when they spend hours bent over on a DR. I don't know if thats true but he actually advised me to buy the cheaper rod!

You do need a light tip but pretty strong through the rod itself. You need a light tip to tell when you have shaker or the sometimes light bite of a Chinook. Also, make the tag line on your downrigger at least 4 feet long so its easier to tell when a shaker is on there. You need the strength not just for the fish but for power to pull your line off the release.