Herring Strips

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kodacachers
Lieutenant

Herring Strips

Post by kodacachers » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Anyone know where I can buy herring strips? Outdoor emporium used to sell the small rectangular packs of them but hasn't had them in a while. I know I can filet off whole herring, but 1) I'm lazy and 2) those strips made for 4 nice smaller strips out of each and I can't seem to replicate that with my knife. Thanks!

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Re: Herring Strips

Post by scraig1962 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Ive just been using a 3/8-1/2" chunk of herring. Havent noticed any difference in catch rates. I see them on the Dicks website though. Might be worth a try.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product ... cadevice=m

piledriver38
Angler

Post by piledriver38 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 am

Simple just buy some red label herring and when they are still frozen fillet them then cut each fillet in half use rock salt and layer them use them then put in freezer till next time and they stay on the hook great

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:50 pm

I use black label herring cause I like nice long, thin triangular herring strips. Probably get about a dozen strips off one large herring. Easy to fillet the large black label herring. Cut it up when it is only a little thawed and use a scissors to cut the strips, a lot easier. In a plastic container, layer of strips, layer of rock salt etc. Before I put the strips in the container I usually mix in some smelly.. krill, bloody tuna, whatever. Let it sit in the container 6-7 hours, drain off the liquid before you pop it in the freezer. Just grab it and go.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:33 pm

BARCHASER wrote:I use black label herring cause I like nice long
Great idea. I will have to try that. Green labels aren't very fun to fillet.
BARCHASER wrote:Let it sit in the container 6-7 hours, drain off the liquid before you pop it in the freezer. Just grab it and go.
Last year I tried using some strips for blackmouth that had been in the freezer since coho season (3 months maybe) and they were really dry and hard. I did not drain them and I also used table salt though. What kind of storage life are you getting out of them BARCHASER?

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:08 am

I use them pretty fast. A container isnt in the freezer longer than couple weeks, mostly less. I cut up one Black Label package at a time, each contains six herring. So storage length isn't an issue. I use the rock salt for ice cream on the label.

I like the long ones , with the thick part of the fillet on the top hook of a squid.

My kicker motor had some problems. It has been residing at Three Rivers fix it shop since the first week of August. I got it back yesterday! I have moorage at Everett and will put it in tomorrow. Chomping at the bit!

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:33 am

Just in time for coho... and probably still pink salmon out there too. I was at 3 rivers last weekend drooling over the 21' NR Seahawks they have... man those are nice boats. Hopefully my next boat will be a NR.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 am

I own a 2005 Seahawk that I bought new. 18 footer, the longest boat I could still get in my garage. I'd have liked a larger boat but I didn't want to store it somewhere. This is my fifth trailer boat and prob last. I like my boat. It has a transom mount. I only fish two or three guys so plenty enuff room. Towed up to Ucluelet 7-8 times and it did well in the ocean for its size. Does well in the Strait and the Sound. Boy there are so many alum boat makes out there now. Every time I think I've seen all the alum boat makers along comes another one.