Beach / bank fishing in this heavy rain?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
soundkite
Petty Officer

Beach / bank fishing in this heavy rain?

Post by soundkite » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Hurray for the rivers right now! =D> Are the pinks just hauling ass to get to the rivers right now in this rain? Is it customary for the bite to be non-existent in this type of setting? I think if I was a salmon from Puget Sound, this is one of those days I would live for.

obryan214
Commander

Re: Beach / bank fishing in this heavy rain?

Post by obryan214 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:28 pm

they bite was certainly off in MA11 this morning, tends to be with these big weather changes. betting this rain will send alot up the rivers and bring alot of fish into the south sound.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 am

I may be going out on a limb here, so please refrain from "flaming comments on my fishing ability:

From my experience, it seems like the salt bite for pinks is far reduced from what it was 6 years ago. Last Pink run I noticed that the patterns were different. This year, it seems the same. Again, your mileage may very, but I have hit pinks in the salt A LOT deeper then in runs past. Here's my theory, for what it's worth.

I think the warm surface water temps are causing the fish to run much deeper. Not only to find cooler water, but to find oxygen. I also believe, the fish are not stacking in the staging areas, again, due to the warm water, and a driving up the rivers using the deep cooler water in the deeper channels as much as they can. The fish are also morphing faster. Perhaps a natural response to needing to get up river and spawn as fast as possible. Yes, there are fish caught in the salt, but at least for me they seem fewer and farther apart. My 2cents worth.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:39 pm

only way to know is to try ... i have always had better luck when its nice and sunny due to being able to see the schools and fish fining or jumping. normally i tend to hit the rivers after a cold front or heavy rain due to thinking the fish move up for a few days. I think it improves my chances in the rivers after a rain .. also i try to give it a day or two after the nets come out to hit them but that's another story