headed to sekiu

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spoonman
Captain

headed to sekiu

Post by spoonman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Will be going to sekiu the first weekend of august. Never been before. Any tips on good holes to fish? Humpies should be pretty thick, but hoping to find some coho.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: headed to sekiu

Post by hewesbob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:35 am

We are headed over to Sekiu tomorrow(7-22) for a week or so. Is there any place for a larger motorhome, boat and tow rig that isn't elbow to elbow camping? And spoonman if you see the Seahawk Hewescraft give us a wave. It's always nice fishing around NWFR folks. Oh ya what radio channel is bs channel for fisherman< I thought it was 68 or 69.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:00 am

hewesbob wrote:We are headed over to Sekiu tomorrow(7-22) for a week or so. Is there any place for a larger motorhome, boat and tow rig that isn't elbow to elbow camping? And spoonman if you see the Seahawk Hewescraft give us a wave. It's always nice fishing around NWFR folks. Oh ya what radio channel is bs channel for fisherman< I thought it was 68 or 69.
There is Olson's 360-963-2311 They have new owners who have upgraded a lot.
Van Ripers Resort (360) 963-2334 not as much room as Olson's
There use to been a campground on the left as you entered town but I can't find it online.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:04 am

I'm taking my son in law and his dad to CQ tomorrow, rent a cabin at Olsons. 18' Seahawk, Blue trim, Maroon Tundra. I''m going again first week of August. I only wanted to go once but got talked into twice.

68 I think, call sign Barchaser. Like Blondie said.. Call me. I've been going over there every summer more or less since early 80's. Hot Spot flasher, spoons/squid with twinkle skirts herring strip/herring in a helmet sometimes Tomic plugs. Some guys do good just mooching around the Caves early.

Watch for herring balls, move the gear around, 60 to 150 feet on the DR often deeper. A lot of the fishing is right out front. Try in close for Kings 100-150 feet, go out half mile or so, just move around until you find fish.

Slip Pt and Mussolini Rock to the east, The Coal Mines further east, The Caves and Eagle Beach to the west right around the corner, mid bay can be good. One thing I do is start trolling with the tide. If the tide is running out I may run all the way east to the mines and just troll the whole works down to Kydaka Point to the west and fish where I find fish.

CQ is famous for an early bite. The old saying is if its light enuff to tie gear you are too late. We get up around 4 and then quit at 10:30, have breakfast, clean fish, go out a little in the afternoon, come back eat dinner, go back out around 6 or so, quit at dark.

Used to be a great mtr home place called the Coho but they don't rent spaces anymore, now condo lots. Olsons and Van Ripers about it for mtr homes. May not have power spots left.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanls for the input guys. We will be in a black lowe fishing machine. With SB 48 champs flag on it.

bobbobbers
Angler

Post by bobbobbers » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:32 am

Just leave the marina, turn left, find 120' water star fishing. later in the day,after 10, give up on kings and go out to about 350-400' and fish for coho and pinks.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:43 pm

i'll be there a couple more times this year. caught salmon everywhere including casting off the jetty and what is now a private beach just before getting into town with the bridge going over the creek, so many fish pass by don't think it matters too much where your at. been going every year since birth.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Is it possible to get action out of a boat without down riggers? Im sure early in the morning, and Humpies of course. But would like to get into some coho, or maybe a king? My brothers boat has downriggers, but was thinking of taking my sled too.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Fished in the rain today, 16 pinks in the boat in 5 hours all on herring. Teaching two boys that had never caught salmon, I was pulling my hair out as they lost about 10 fish at the boat. Tomorrow will be a better day

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:00 pm

spoonman wrote:Is it possible to get action out of a boat without down riggers? Im sure early in the morning, and Humpies of course. But would like to get into some coho, or maybe a king? My brothers boat has downriggers, but was thinking of taking my sled too.
You can always mooch, but I have mostly seen folks using downriggers.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 pm

hewesbob wrote:Fished in the rain today, 16 pinks in the boat in 5 hours all on herring. Teaching two boys that had never caught salmon, I was pulling my hair out as they lost about 10 fish at the boat. Tomorrow will be a better day
How big they running? We are thinking about making a short trip up there next week or the week after.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:45 am

Larry the pinks we caught run 3-6 pounds. Larger than we expected.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:31 am

Good news! They seem to be running much smaller inside from what I have heard.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:29 am

spoonman wrote:Is it possible to get action out of a boat without down riggers? Im sure early in the morning, and Humpies of course. But would like to get into some coho, or maybe a king? My brothers boat has downriggers, but was thinking of taking my sled too.
You can use divers and do just fine. In fact, I usually run a long line out the back with a 1oz weight on it. I put a cut plug or even just a strip or spoon right in the prop wash about 40 ft back and can't keep the coho off it! [wink]
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:46 am

Bay wolf, does that shallow water, prop wash technique work in the Puget Sound for Coho as well as in Sekiu?

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:57 pm

We are seeing several folks in smaller boats just using lead or deep sixes/dipsy divers and they are catching pinks. Today we put another four limits in our boat today, I give alot of credit today to Moneymaker Scent Bombs.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:42 pm

I just posted a CQ report. We concentrated on Nooks in water 100 to 150. Kept 8 hatchery Chinooks 8 to 17 and released 5 wild fish (so called) including two in the 20's and one that was around 30. I don't do digital pics but pic of my son in law and his stepdad with 4 on Thurs on Olsons Resort webpage... Jim & Jack. We also got loads and loads of small wild Silvers mostly around mid bay and CQ Pt. No Pinks, we never went that far offshore. I'm going back in 9 days.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:59 pm

BARCHASER wrote:I just posted a CQ report. We concentrated on Nooks in water 100 to 150. Kept 8 hatchery Chinooks 8 to 17 and released 5 wild fish (so called) including two in the 20's and one that was around 30. I don't do digital pics but pic of my son in law and his stepdad with 4 on Thurs on Olsons Resort webpage... Jim & Jack. We also got loads and loads of small wild Silvers mostly around mid bay and CQ Pt. No Pinks, we never went that far offshore. I'm going back in 9 days.
Hell yeah! Thats what i like to hear! I will be into plenty of pinks soon enough at home. I want kangs baby! Hopefully I'll get there early enough on friday to fish. Then all day Saturday and Sunday morning. I want to pull something in my back bringing the cooler in when i get home. [thumbsup]

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 am

MotoBoat wrote:Bay wolf, does that shallow water, prop wash technique work in the Puget Sound for Coho as well as in Sekiu?
Sssshhhhhhhhhh! :-$

In the sound, use a 1/2 oz banana weight and a 48" mooching leader with a herring strip. Troll along the edge of the kelp beds that are along the "run lanes". Long line out 65ft. Troll with the current. FISH ON!

Once in the sound, the Coho will run shallow in and under the Kelp. Of course, that is a typical year. With this warm water, they, and all the migrating salmon, may be staying in the coldest water they can find. Which means the typical patterns and depths may be totally different. We will just have to see.

Good luck.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Spoonman, Go git 'em. I'll be there again from 8/4 to 8/7 staying at Olsons. The best fishing for nooks was right out front but on Wednesday and again on Sat there was nothing there. On Sat about 8 we went west to Kydaka Pt and trolled Tomics deeper 110-140 and got two in 3 hours plus two other takedowns. Sometimes they leave the Midbay, Caves and Eagle Beach area and move out deeper so don't be afraid to move around. The troll between Mussolini and the Coal Mines doesn't attract many boats and sometimes you'll find the fish there. I think they get spooked by the boats sometimes and move deeper or where there aren't lots of boats. Good luck.