Chinook leader length while trolling

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
For Reel
Petty Officer

Chinook leader length while trolling

Post by For Reel » Sun May 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Any one care to help me with this. It's seems like a somewhat perplexing task I have to deal with while trolling for Chinooks.

I've landed big kings with short leaders 26" on a coho killers. Unfortunately had to throw it back because of the extra fin [cursing]

While I've caught smaller kings on long leaders 35"-40".

I understand the leader length is different for each application, example spoon, hoochie, bait, ect.

If you have some experiences you would care to share that would be great. It's just my fishing time so precious. I just want to maximize the time I have on the water.

Also trolling speed would be helpful.

Thanks again!

For Reel

fishing magician
Petty Officer

Re: Chinook leader length while trolling

Post by fishing magician » Sun May 31, 2015 6:10 pm

When I fish hoochies for chinook I use 36 to 38 inch inch leaders. The biggest chinook I caught last season (a 25 pounder) came on that length. I do have a buddy though the fishes 42 to 45 inch leaders and he catches just as many and just as big of fish. . For spoons and cut plugs I go longer like about 60 inches. But for all of those I troll about 2.5 to 3 mph. Hope this helps.

For Reel
Petty Officer

Post by For Reel » Sun May 31, 2015 7:18 pm

It does help and thank you! [thumbsup]

I'm just trying to narrow it down to be more successful. Like I said in the past work takes up a great deal of my time so I want to maximize all my time on the water. :nemo:
fishing magician wrote:When I fish hoochies for chinook I use 36 to 38 inch inch leaders. The biggest chinook I caught last season (a 25 pounder) came on that length. I do have a buddy though the fishes 42 to 45 inch leaders and he catches just as many and just as big of fish. . For spoons and cut plugs I go longer like about 60 inches. But for all of those I troll about 2.5 to 3 mph. Hope this helps.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:28 pm

i've caught kings trolling leaders as short as 15". for cutplugs i just use whatever the leader came tied with. i do most of my chinook trolling with ace hi and tomic plugs though connected to the swivel. i don't have a speedometer just troll as slow as my 25hp yamaha goes.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:30 pm

i've caught kings trolling leaders as short as 15". for cutplugs i just use whatever the leader came tied with. i do most of my chinook trolling with ace hi and tomic plugs though connected to the swivel. i don't have a speedometer just troll as slow as my 25hp yamaha goes.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:21 pm

As stated above for hoochies or lures that don't have their own action you want to run a shorter leader. Start at 36" and adjust from there.

For lures that DO have their own action, set them back further so that the flasher doesn't mute out their play. Spoons, cut plugs, and Ace-Hi flies can all go slightly longer than a hoochie . I run about 45" for my spoons, I like to keep it far enough away from the flasher so it wobbles correctly, but close enough that as the flasher whips around it will "pull" the spoon faster on each rotation of the flasher. That erratic action (similar to speeding up, slowing down, or turning the boat) will entice bites when fish are following but unwilling to commit.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 pm

I use much heavier line on hoochie leaders (50# mono) along with a shorter leader overall to get more action. The stiffer line seems to allows the flasher to generate more action.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:45 am

gfakkema wrote: After you have found the right action, measure the leader to give you a ballpark to shoot for when tying on a new lure (assuming the same lure and flasher combo).

This seems to be very important as well. If I have 1 rod that is catching all the fish I will mirror that setup on the other side of the boat including matching the exact leader length of the rig that is working.

I have run the same setup on both sides, but had leaders varying by a few inches, and had one rig outfish the other.

For Reel
Petty Officer

Post by For Reel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Good discussion by all! I thank everyone for their input.