Trolling Rod / Reel

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dustin07
Commodore

Trolling Rod / Reel

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm curious what you guys would recommend as the best salmon rod + reel combos available specifically at Cabelas. I'm talking puget sound trolling for salmon. I'm not necessarily a big Cabelas guy, but because of a certain situation that's where I currently have to shop ;)

obryan214
Commander

Re: Trolling Rod / Reel

Post by obryan214 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 pm

will you be using downriggers? I have several rods of different brands for trolling the south sound, all 8'6" of different brands. mostly okuma and diawa. most of my reels are penn 209s. 25lb mono is what my trollers all have. I do have 2 reels of the cabelas brand, think they were made by diawa.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:29 am

yeah definitely with downriggers..

thanks!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:09 am

A buddy of mine picked up one of the Cabela's Depthmaster combo specials a few years ago for $60 that has really performed well for DR trolling. I think it's an 8'6" with a line counter reel and he spools 25-30# mono I think.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:16 am

I've got a couple Ugly Stick downrigger rods I am happy with. About $50-$60 each.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:07 pm

I second the depthmaster rod. It has performed well for me.

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 pm

As with everything, the answer is how much do you want to spend, lol... If you're bound by a gift card only, then I'd look at the depthmaster combo for sure. If you're putting something together, spend your money on the reel and then go from there because you can find a rid that might do double duty (mooching, inshore lingcod, etc...) to pair with your reel. I currently run charter specials, but if I were buying, I'd probably have the new Penn lever drags or the Okuma Coldwaters. A lot of folks swear by the Tekota reels as well as the Avets and Accurates as well.

Or just go centerpin ;)

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:59 pm

geekgiant wrote:As with everything, the answer is how much do you want to spend, lol... If you're bound by a gift card only, )
yeah its a points thing so I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get the best setup they had. I've never had a really good salmon setup, but after investing good money in a nice bass rod/reel i know how much a good setup is really worth!

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 pm

"Best setup" doesn't have an answer. But I'd go with one of the Lamiglass downrigger rods or a Loomis IM2 and a Shimano Tekota 400 if I were spending somebody else's money.

I have the Shimano TDR ($30) rods and a Diawa Wilderness as my backup ($20) so you can see what I'm actually running... I have the Charter Specials on the Shimano ($150 or so) and a Penn Defiance 25LW on the backup rod...

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Here's another thread on this topic:
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... 25&t=19271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ended up with Tekota 500s, and i really like them. They were a gift--if i had to spend my own dough I would have gone with the Okuma Coldwater at $100.

For rods I have Okuma Classig Pro downrigger rods. They're about $35 or so. I got them on special and couldn't resist. I was going to go with Ugly stick bigwater at a bit more money for the supposed durability (I'm rather clumsy).

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:20 am

OK so here's what we did.
Ugly stick. i cant' remember the model but I think its a 9 or 9 1/2ft light action 20lb test.

and Tekota Reel, we first brought in a TEK800 to look at it. it was AWESOME, but what a beast! lol. way overkill. sent it back and got a TEK600LC. which we are loving.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/ ... rc%3Daw.ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lamiglas ... downrigger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:12 am

a used fiberglass rod from the 70's or 80's is also a good choice. I used one I built in the late 70's for a downrigger rod all the way until I moved to Moses Lake 4 years ago. I also use it occasionally for sockeye. One advantage of fiberglass is it doesn't get strained while under tension in the downrigger. just a thought.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:16 am

i had two older rods that snapped in half last year, lol.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:37 am

There is a wrong way to release a line from a downrigger. [-X

It will break rods.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:50 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:There is a wrong way to release a line from a downrigger. [-X

It will break rods.
I typically now require visitors on the boat to supply their own rods/reels. lol

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:58 am

I run Fetha Styx downrigger series rods in 10'6" they are superb. Carbon fiber butt section so no damage from the DR rod holder. Good and light in the tip but strong enough backbone to handle a halibut.

I have them paired with the Shimano Charter Special lever drag reels. I like lever reels in the downrigger because I can drive the boat, and set the downrigger down with 1 hand and no backlash.

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 pm

I've been using 9 foot lamiglas classic glass rods and Okuma Coldwater reels on downriggers. I'm using Shimano Clarus and Lamiglas X11 rods on divers. Nothing too special when it comes to trolling.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:13 am

I run Shimano Convergence rods. Fish the Sound and Neah and they handle it all well. Horsing fish because of seals is a different matter.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:36 am

To zen leecher aka Bill W: please explain the "wrong way" to release down riggers so that readers in here don't end up with poles snapped in half. Some people get in a big ol' hurry to get their gear out. Useful tips are appreciated =D>
Bobber_Dogger