Fishing Under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Fishing Under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Post by Kaptain King » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 am

Since I do not have boat and I am not crazy enough to fish from my kayak under the Narrows Bridge, I thought about walking/bushwhacking down under the bridge to try for Lingcod this weekend. I know of two spots where there are trails down. It drops off immediately from the rocks to the water on the Tacoma side and I thought maybe enough weight and good bait and who knows? I have heard from a couple of people that have been down there and they said they did well for lingcod the only danger is the train and a few harmless bums sleeping down there...Anyone try this or think it should be tried?
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

fear_no_fish
Captain

Re: Fishing Under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:12 am

Anywhere you go with steep rocks/trails, and plenty of water current wearing a life jacket will never hurt.
You cant catch fish if you arent fishing. Good luck.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 am

No clue, just be safe "the only danger is the train" doesn't sound promising. Not sure how it is a danger to someone fishing unless you're on the tracks with no quick exit if one comes along. That wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. You definitely can't catch fish if you're dead. Unless I guessed wrong on how the train poses a danger I'd find a different spot to fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Is there a fishing dock under the bridge? How far out does it go?

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am

used to be trails going down the hills on both sides. steep as hell too. maybe park at titlow park and walk the train tracks. good lingcod area and salmon come along shore too.

Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Post by Kaptain King » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the responses! I am going to cut down from this apartment complex that I manage that is right down below the bridge on the south side. I am going to pack some Berkley Gulp!, herring, and a couple of jigs plus plenty of tackle since the current is so strong...I will report back hopefully with lingcod in hand!!!

SoDakboy
Petty Officer

Post by SoDakboy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 pm

How tall is this cliff, are you going to just have to reel it up after you get it outta the water?

Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Post by Kaptain King » Fri May 03, 2013 7:15 am

Not really a cliff...Just some steep bushwhacking to get down to the tracks and the shore. There is plenty of room to fish away from the train tracks...The rocks from the shore go right down to deep, deep water. I know the current will be strong so I just wondered if someone had tried. I am going tomorrow morning so I will post then. Sunday I am going between Browns and Dash Points for lingcod. If anyone is interested, my buddy and I will be out in our kayaks...O Dark 30.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 am

I was looking at a Google map and found a park just north of the bridge.Tacoma Narrows Park. Its on Docs drive. Its on the water.It has a parking lot and a bathroom. This could be worth a Drive on Sunday morn. Looks like a nice clamming beach.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 am

racfish wrote:I was looking at a Google map and found a park just north of the bridge.Tacoma Narrows Park. Its on Docs drive. Its on the water.It has a parking lot and a bathroom. This could be worth a Drive on Sunday morn. Looks like a nice clamming beach.
you mean south? thats tacoma narrows park. the area on the north is a steep climb but takes you down to a beach. people who lived near it were trying to get it closed because they dont want us non wealthy folks near them. lots of snobs in the harbor.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 03, 2013 11:28 am

Looking at the map I assumed that the park was to the north. Ive been wrong a few times in my life. Waterfront peeps are usually a lil snobby. They can only own a part of the tideland. Im gonna go find that park and check it out.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

I've fished there a few times, and parked at Titlow beach and walked down the hill to the tracks. Follow the tracks all the way under the bridge, and towards the cluster of trees growing along the shore on the other side. I've caught a lot of Lings there casting and retrieving swimbaits. High tide has always been the best for me, as the lings are closer in, and the water is usually calm.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm

What kind of swimbaits do you guys like to use? Looking on ggogle images there's flounder ones and more troutish-minnow ones>

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I use the Storm WildEye Swim Shad. I've used most of the colors, and they all seem to work equally well.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

I use to fish below Deception Pass on the beach using only big white curly tail jigs and caught a lot of lings (some to big to get to the beach) and other big bottom dwellers back in the 80's. I would think that they would work just as well under the Narrows!! I'll have to fish for them there as it would be closer.