whidbey fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

whidbey fishing

Post by HULI_ISDA » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi guys were having our annual reunion at whidbey island fort casey,its right next to the sea.i wanna know what bait,lure,setup and kind of fish you can catch from the shore.i also notice when i looked at the map,theres a lake nearby,its called crockett lake,anybody tried fished there?what fish to expect and what rule applied here.its a very diffrent area and place.any answer will help.thanks.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: whidbey fishing

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Ah, I always love when i see a question about fishing potential at Fort Casey...
See my link to my beach report from two summers ago. Best beach fishing I ever did. Only one problem...
I always check the regs when fishing new water, and I like to think of myself as an honest angler. However, in this case I completely blew it!! I read the general regs for marine area 9, I didn't happen to read off to the right hand side, the Closed Areas within Marine area 9. Where I was fishing along Camp Casey was basicly a Marine Zoo. (Protected sancturary) Dang! That's why the fishing was so GOOD.
My point though is that there is legal fishing to be had there for sure.... but take careful note to read where the closed area is. Generally speaking if you are standing on the soccer fields located near the Retired Officer quarters housing... those cool old houses that they rent. That beach area there has a long closed strip of land. I will link you to it.

But first here is my report from then:
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportLi ... =2&page=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double click on the center map on this link. It will show you exactly where not to be. If you fish down below the big guns at the Fort, you are good. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/mpa/admiralty_head.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FANwa
Angler

Post by FANwa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 pm

We've had a few reports of fish being seen passing thru at Bush Point and Lagoon Point. Further south, Goss, Lone and Deer Lakes have been productive for trout. Unfortunately bank fishing is limited to the launch area at the lakes so bring a boat or float tube, etc. I'll post more as information is available.
Mike @ Fishing Access Network (look us up on Facebook)

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks guys. Quadfather,we are camp at camp casey it self,like on the site were navy are having drill everyday,.its next to the water is.ill check your links.thanks again.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:24 am

phivial81us wrote:Thanks guys. Quadfather,we are camp at camp casey it self,like on the site were navy are having drill everyday,.its next to the water is.ill check your links.thanks again.
When I said Ft. Casey... I actually meant Camp Casey. Yes, I know exactly where you are talking about. That is where I was as well.