Im getting the pinks itch!!! when can i have at em?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
blurock
Warrant Officer

RE:Im getting the pinks itch!!! when can i have at em?

Post by blurock » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 am

Hopefully painting the pump on Friday so I can take the Willie out in the salt without worrying too much!
They have to be out in the sound cause there have been sightings in the Snohomish already!
Fish Like A Girl

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 am

Blurock, PM me for some tips on the salt. I've been fishing it every day since the opener.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Bassin253
Petty Officer

Post by Bassin253 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

When they do show up should I go to redondo or dash point? I live about 2min from redondo but I've heard there is alot more that cruise by dash point what do you guys think prob wont matter but thought I would ask.

kavykid2k6
Warrant Officer

Post by kavykid2k6 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:54 pm

pinks are in sequim bay!! heard multible reports of people catching them out there. also alot of very mad king and silver fishermen out in front of the bluffs in port angeles. said they cant keep them off the hook. ill be going out this weekend and giving it a try!
Fishing the waters of the stilly, sky and snoho and the lakes of
North Snohomish county-- and my pond

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:46 am

Theres pretty good numbers of pinks at Hoodsport... im heading out tomorrow to see if my catch card can lose its virginity.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:36 am

Theres no pinks at hoodsport ! :^o

2nd salmon from the salt.
Attachments
salmon.jpg
salmon.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:56 pm

They are coming... and they are big!!! We caught multiple pinks over 10lbs at Neah Bay last weekend. They were hitting our green hoochies we were using for Kings. They smoked up ok... but I gotta say... they pale in comparison to Kings and Coho...even in the smoker.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:They smoked up ok... but I gotta say... they pale in comparison to Kings and Coho...even in the smoker.
Ha! That is why I smoke em all up, package em, and hand em out to friends and family, take em to parties, make dip, etc. (it is still better than store bought). Then I keep the kings, coho, & steelhead for myself:-$
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:They smoked up ok... but I gotta say... they pale in comparison to Kings and Coho...even in the smoker.
Ha! That is why I smoke em all up, package em, and hand em out to friends and family, take em to parties, make dip, etc. (it is still better than store bought). Then I keep the kings, coho, & steelhead for myself:-$
Hehehehe yeah me too! I vac pack 'em up and everyone thinks they're special. They do make good dip. I used to can them up with onions and stuff and you just drain off the stock and add the mayo or vinegrette and they make a b1tch'in sandwich.
Last edited by Bodofish on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:
Hehehehe yeah me too! I vac pack 'em up and everyone thinks they're special.
Too funny, I know exactly what you mean.

Go to a party, walk up to the host...

Gringo: "I brought a home-smoked salmon fillet along with some crackers and cream cheese to put out for people. Oh, and SSHHH - I brought an extra fillet just for you."

Host: "Really? For me? Awesome! Let me put this away and make YOU a drink my friend!"

[thumbup]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:
I used to can them up with onions and stuff and you just drain off the stock and add the mayo or vinegrette and they make a b1tch'in sandwich.
My grandma used to can salmon - I LOVED it. Never tried to do it myself - is it very hard/involved?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote: Ha! That is why I smoke em all up, package em, and hand em out to friends and family, take em to parties, make dip, etc. (it is still better than store bought). Then I keep the kings, coho, & steelhead for myself:-$
I used to can them up with onions and stuff and you just drain off the stock and add the mayo or vinegrette and they make a b1tch'in sandwich.
My grandma used to can salmon - I LOVED it. Never tried to do it myself - is it very hard/involved?

You need a pressure canner, and a good recipe, but it's like making jam. We can a lot of stuff and we have a big pressure canner, it's a lot of fun. I've tried this recipe RECIPE last year and it was delicious. Salmon salads and dip are great from this stuf f. I've also canned crab, and chowder too.

This its the basic recipe from Ball, the classic canning people. ball recipe
Last edited by natetreat on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:56 pm

The jalepeno recipe, I realized that there are more than one in the link. Meh.

jake_k
Warrant Officer

Post by jake_k » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:42 pm

I cant wait for the pinks to be in near shilshole. Even if they don't taste good (we use ours for dog food) they are so much fun to catch. last pink run i also got a 6 LB coho on an ultra light it was the most fun i ever had fighting a fish.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 am

I skin salmon before canning by placing the beheaded and definned fish in hot water, right out of the tap is usually hot enough. Let the fish soak in the hot water for a few minutes, at some point start picking at the edges of the skin, it'll come off of the salmon REAL easy if the water is hot enough. A little trial and error and it'll be just fine. It's pinks, and you're gonna cook em a couple hrs somewhere around 220-230 degrees when under pressure. After skinning, I shove the fish in the jar and cut the fish at the appropriate height. Bones and flesh get pressure cooked. I look at the instructions every time I can meats and follow them as food poisoning is not what it's all about. I'll add whatever seasoning I feel like and always change it up as it'll end up in a sandwich or dip and you can season to taste later when you're ready to eat. None of it is rocket science, for the cost of a pressure cooker and a few jars you'll have canned salmon for the Super Bowl!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"