Open spot on Boat

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fear_no_fish
Captain

Re: Open spot on Boat

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Hahaha oneshot the shark slayer! lol

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu May 09, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm with you Oneshot. Ive caught lots of ratfish. They are the ugliest fish in the seas by far. Even uglier then a monk fish. I would have to be starving or seriously food tripping to eat one.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu May 09, 2013 1:53 pm

With all the awesome salmon and bottomfish we have around here i kinda feel like its a disgrace to our tastebuds to eat a dogfish
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu May 09, 2013 2:33 pm

fishenfreak wrote:With all the awesome salmon and bottomfish we have around here i kinda feel like its a disgrace to our tastebuds to eat a dogfish
This could be the "niche" that fills in the slow months for the guiding service? Call it the "rock Salmon trip" the "count yer fingers and toes, before and after the trip".

bottomfishin13
Petty Officer

Post by bottomfishin13 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm

So you can catch them at the dock in Westport?

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 pm

bottomfishin13 wrote:So you can catch them at the dock in Westport?
yes!! :pirat: by the dozen if done right.. with my experience I always had better luck as the sun started to set, go out to the end, chuck your bait way out and let it sit on bottom.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 pm

MotoBoat wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:With all the awesome salmon and bottomfish we have around here i kinda feel like its a disgrace to our tastebuds to eat a dogfish
This could be the "niche" that fills in the slow months for the guiding service? Call it the "rock Salmon trip" the "count yer fingers and toes, before and after the trip".
Not sure I'd book that trip haha

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:45 am

i would book a trip, haha nate you have to touch all of them though. i got to fight a nice infection in my forearm last year from a big boy wrapping his tail around and impaling me.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 10, 2013 7:00 am

All along the Seattle waterfront you can score big time on doggies. Pier 57 was a doggie hotspot. Myrtle Edwards park also.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri May 10, 2013 8:02 am

racfish wrote:All along the Seattle waterfront you can score big time on doggies. Pier 57 was a doggie hotspot. Myrtle Edwards park also.
The very first time I encountered one of these crude looking fish. Was Salmon fishing with my "Uncle Mike, the hippie fishermen". He lived for fishing. Any and every kind of fishing. The doggie was the by catch of mooching herring for Salmon out of Point No Point. Once lifted by the leader, over the gunnel of the boat. Hippie Uncle would step on the tail to subdue that pointy end, and leader still in hand, would semi control the toothie end. He would proclaim "another BOB BARKER"! And complain about another wasted leader.......funny! He had nicknames for everything! If needing another herring, he would say "give me another worm"!.

That trip was a bunch of years ago. I rarely catch a dog anymore, since not using herring for at least 20 years. But it is still second nature to step on that tail as soon as possible. The other foot can easily by used to pin the head down for hook removal or better yet, leader cutting. Leaving the hooks in the fish.

In the 70's it was common to bend the nose of a dog up, cut the leader leaving the hooks in the fish. Then, tie the tag end of the leader to a filled air balloon, and release the fish to swim around on the surface. Far away from where your bait, hooks, and salmon were.

If my hippie Uncle only gave the fish a taste. He may be a converted Chinook Salmon freak> doggie style! :scratch:

Lesson: Use your feet to safely aid in unhooking the fish. But don't use to much pressure, hurting them in the process!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 am

Very nice Motoboat. I'm proud to say I'm one of those Hippie fisher-people myself. Point no point/Jeff head/ Possession. The three biggest dogfish areas ever . I too don't use herring much anymore. Nice story.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am

racfish wrote:Very nice Motoboat. I'm proud to say I'm one of those Hippie fisher-people myself. Point no point/Jeff head/ Possession. The three biggest dogfish areas ever . I too don't use herring much anymore. Nice story.
Thanks Rac, reliving some outstanding moments! Hippee Uncle still soaks a "worm", and catches "Bob Barkers" during his pursuit of a Salmon at Point No Point. Back in the 70's, he had some custom rods he built for mooching. Called them buggy whips, looked to be 9 to 10 ft long. Super soft at the tip section. I had a yellow, Wright & McGill "Salmon Moocher" I bought with my paper route money. I took good care of that rod. By that I mean, it always got rinsed in fresh water after a trip out in the Salt. For posterity, I still use that rod on occasion. Usually ends up in the boat as a back up, or guest rod. Has a sweet Ambassador 6500 that has been on it from the 70's. It is a nothing rod by today's standards. But when I pull that out, it brings a bunch of memories with it. Like the time in the mid 90's I was alone in a 12ft aluminum boat. Almost got spooled by a 26lb King Salmon out in front of Shilshole.

Say Rac, you would know something about the two pole Salmon rule. Once able to do in area 10?. I do not recall seeing the rule in the Area 10 pamphlet. But was checked that day I caught the 26lb er. I had two poles out. I was a bit nervous, since the reg's did not say yes or no to using two poles. But the Warden asked to see the hooks on both rods. Exclaimed "nice fish" and motored on. I was told by another, much older fishermen about the unwritten, area 10 only, two pole Salmon fishing rule. If it was not written, when was the two pole rule repealed?

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun May 12, 2013 7:38 am

schu7498 wrote:Dogfish also called rock salmon in the United Kingdom is a fish and chips staple!
Born and bred in the UK and have never heard of rock salmon, fish and chips is either cod, plaice of haddock. My buddy tells me the same thing but I've never seen it on the menus.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 12, 2013 11:18 am

I've sold millions of pounds to distributors in the UK but there's no accounting for taste. I certainly wouldn't order it and you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to eat it prepared any way.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon May 13, 2013 7:05 am

We always fished a two pole per person set up. Two poles can be a hassle. Ive lost nice fish dinking with two poles.I remember the 3 fish a day salmon limit also.We used to slay big kings at Westport. Back then a day of fishing was 30 dollars and that included gear and a lunch.I had those older Eagle Claw ,and Fenwick rods. With Penn 109's. I still use those today.. Gas was .39- .59 a gallon.So driving to Westport was cheap.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 am

racfish wrote:We always fished a two pole per person set up. Two poles can be a hassle. Ive lost nice fish dinking with two poles.I remember the 3 fish a day salmon limit also.We used to slay big kings at Westport. Back then a day of fishing was 30 dollars and that included gear and a lunch.I had those older Eagle Claw ,and Fenwick rods. With Penn 109's. I still use those today.. Gas was .39- .59 a gallon.So driving to Westport was cheap.
But do you recall the two pole deal in the reg's back then. Cause I found out through older "regulars" that fished out of Ballard. I have some freshwater rule books from the 70's. Back then, the dept had fresh and saltwater rule books?

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 am

Back when my kids were still little shorties, I used to take them "shark" fishing out near the USS Lincoln in Everett all the time. Those kids had an absolute BLAST reeling in those "sharks" all day , just sink a herring down and wait a minute or two, as close to guaranteed action as a little fisherman could ever ask for , and a 3' shark is pretty fun stuff for a little 3' tall kid to do battle with. If the bite was a little slow that day, we'd set the click on those old red Penn 209 reels , play board games or whatever, and wait for that super-loud ZEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE EEEEE to go off, LOL. I'd rig up with salmon leaders and bend the barbs down , so we could let'em go quickly and easily . This was a GREAT way to get my kids into fishing, AND promote the concept of catch and release...the idea of fishing just for fun. I remember them BEGGING me to go "Shark" fishing many times, and they would brag to their playmates, who would then excitedly beg to go along on the next trip. Later, we moved up to more "sophisticated" (and often less action packed) outings for salmon, steelhead, trout, etc. ...but those early "shark" trips really lit the fuse on their enthusiasm for the sport of fishing. Lots and lots of good memories there.

Both of my kids are now avid fishermen as adults, and practice catch and release most of the time, which makes me a proud Papa. I think our humble (and hungry) local Dogfish population can share in a little of the credit for this outcome.
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon May 13, 2013 11:33 am

Rules????? Hmmmmmm Were there rules back then??