Rigging a legal J-Plug

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Rigging a legal J-Plug

Post by Bro-Rando » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi All,

I picked up some J-Plugs, but they come with two treble hooks on a harness. I'm wondering what the best way to rig them with single hooks to be legal for Washington salmon fishing. A picture would be awesome.

Thanks!
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Rigging a legal J-Plug

Post by G-Man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:26 am

I can do you one better, check out the plug video on the following link. http://www.captaindownriggins.com/Videos.htm

If your plugs already have a hole through the body and use a bead chain, just remove the trebles and replace with a single siwash hook on the braided line extender. You want the point of the hook to be behind the tail end of the lure. I'll post a pic later today if someone doesn't beat me to it.

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Rigging a legal J-Plug

Post by G-Man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:02 pm

OK, here is a step by step with pics.

Disassemble your plug keeping the bead chain with split ring, dacron or other braided line loop and swivel. If you didn't get a loop with your plug just make your own out of some 40lb or greater dacron or super line. Get yourself an appropriately sized siwash hook, pinch down the barb and attach the swivel to the eye of the hook. Don't forget to close the eye of the hook!

Attach the dacron loop to the swivel

Attach the other end of the dacron loop to the split ring

Slip the bead chain up through the body of the plug

You can tie your fishing line directly to the bead chain or use a 20lb to 30lb leader.

I use a leader of about 4' as I'm typically trolling with 35lb braided line when I'm after salmon.