where to get sandshrimp at ocean shores?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dustpan
Petty Officer

where to get sandshrimp at ocean shores?

Post by dustpan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:54 am

Hi, I'm going to be camping at ocean shores soon. I'm going to fish off the jetty there, and I want to catch my own bait. I've never fished for sand shrimp before. A friend of mine told me how to do it, I just need to know where to go to get the little buggers. If you can explain it to me, I will try to find it on google maps. Hopefully I'll save a few bucks, and have some fun. Thank you very much!

Coastfishin
Commander

RE:where to get sandshrimp at ocean shores?

Post by Coastfishin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 am

You can find sand shrimp pretty much anywhere along the beach or in the bay by the marina. I use a clam gun to dig them. You generally have to go 2 or 3 times in the same hole to create a suction an wash them into the hole.
Look for small round mounds of sand with a hole in the center,( about the size of a sand dollar) usually close to high edge of waves is best. There are some large shrimp beds so you should be able to find them easily.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:17 am

Youll most likely find both Sand Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp.Just exactly as Coastfishin said.Dustpan are you gonna try freezing them?I used to get them but only a day or so before Steelhead fishing.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 am

The bay on the South side of the marina's breakwater is definitely the place to go. At low tide you won't be the only person out there collecting them. Make sure you keep them cold, they are soft to begin with, as heat kills and softens them quickly.

fulkerl
Angler

Post by fulkerl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:16 pm

low tide by the marina all you want to get in a short time,then walk down the ocean side of the beach and fish the incoming tide.

dustpan
Petty Officer

Post by dustpan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:05 pm

wow, thanks for the awesome replys. I was thinking I could get them the day before, then just keep them in the fridge. I will definitely freeze some of these little buggers. I can't wait to cut down on my bait bill. My wife is gonna freak when she sees those ugly mofos in our freezer. :-"