What to do while crabbing?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MikeFishes
Commander

What to do while crabbing?

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:34 pm

So, my friends father and I are going out tomorrow to see if we can catch a few crabs. While we wait for the traps/pots to catch something, we thought we'd go for perch. Is this the right time? What else could/should we be doing while we wait for the crabs to climb into our traps?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:What to do while crabbing?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I am not aware of many perch to be had in at least area 10, unless you are hanging around the piers, down below the pilings. Since I don't know where you are crabbing at, I would say to read the regs. carefully for your marine area.
Speaking at least for area 10 you have 1 legal rockfish available during salmon season... so now. I think cabezon also,,, but check to be sure. If you aren't set up to troll for salmon, you cant catch flounder and dogfish until your sick of it.
If you're in area 10 check out Blakely rock near Bainbridge is. Also there is a reef about 1 mile N. of carkeek park.

Have fun, and good luck on the crabs.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 am

If you're in Area 7 then you fish for 40# nate chinookers........ :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:42 am

Sorry, that's 8.2, out of Everett.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:27 am

Mike dump the pots at 4am:cheers: Salmon Parts, then use the resources and gifts were blessed:bounce: .

If its a outgoing run West better waters and tides and clean up on clams and oysters .:chef:

If its a incoming let them soak at least 4 hours and press some Kings:cyclopsan

Multi taskers and salt waters = the gifts from doing are Grand! :-$ :cheers:

FISH ON!
Attachments
CLAMS,_OYSTERS,SALMON_AND_MORE_SWEDE1_113.JPG
CLAMS,_OYSTERS,SALMON_AND_MORE_SWEDE1_113.JPG (56.28 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
CLAMS,_OYSTERS,SALMON_AND_MORE_SWEDE1_108.JPG
CLAMS,_OYSTERS,SALMON_AND_MORE_SWEDE1_108.JPG (57.96 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 am

8-1 I do the same thing... Just put a rod on the bottom with Cut Herring pieces for the kid and a Mooching rig set up for me and drift Mooch ...he always gets tons of Small Founder and they become bait for the crabs after Cleaning and the Filet;s add a great taist to the nights dinner and I get the bigger ones, just not as many and on occasion something even more fun . Sweede..where do you pick up the Oysters??
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:19 pm

I fish 8.1 while waiting for the pots to fill or sometimes I take a bbq and make a picnic then motor out check pots then back to picnic and so on.If its a nice low tide do some clamming.If you use salmon parts use a bait cage.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Well, when we got there it was windy. Being new to this, we didn't know how windy it would be. We got just to the end of the break and hit the chop. 3 ft at least, got very wet, turned around. I'm not sure how windy it was, but it wasn't safe being out there. Heard that a boat capsized near mukilteo so we're glad we didn't go out.

Anyone know of a good place to check the wind out on the sound? Maybe predictions plus actual wind?

While we were there saw an old man bring in a Nat Chinook. The WDFW creel checker wasn't having any of that, since the guy didn't get it at tulalip. Not sure if the old man got ticketed, but I kind of hope that he did (sorry, that's kind of mean of me, but the guy should know the regs, the area isn't open for salmon yet. The WDFW agent said that he was going to confiscate it.

Learned several lessons:
1. When it's windy and it's coming from the west tie off the back of the boat first when launching (the back end of the boat wants to swing out and kiss the other boats)
2. Check the wind reports, 10 K + wind, stay home or be prepared to get wet or swim.[-o<
3. Check the Regs!

:eye:

BTW, I have salt crystals on me.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Good lesson Mike...nobody got hurt and you learned something, then you passed it on...thank-you and better luck next time.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 pm

yeah it can get pretty bad out there. I used to run one of the harbor security boats for the naval base. Been out there pl;enty of times when I shouldn't have..............but hey that's the navy carrying for Force Protection more than life. I had fun everytime though.:cheers:

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:06 am

[quote="scott080379"]yeah it can get pretty bad out there. I used to run one of the harbor security boats for the naval base. Been out there pl]

Somehow, I think you were better prepared than most people. I saw a guy heading out in a really tiny boat, hope he came back OK.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:12 am

Marine Area 9 or 10, fish for kings between pulling crab pots.

Fishing is good out there now....Hit it up while ya can...
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....