Wanted: Good Camping/Marine Fishing Destination

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Landlocked
Petty Officer

Wanted: Good Camping/Marine Fishing Destination

Post by Landlocked » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Your assistance is needed. I live in the Tri-Cities. This year, I want to go to the coast for some camping and marine fishing.

Since I don't have the luxury of time and distance to do the trial by error method, could any of you suggest some good camping/fishing spots? I'll be tent camping, by the way, and will want to be able to have a camp fire. Also, I'm not into "primitive-style" camping where there's absolutely no utilities (I know what you're thinking.... "go get a hotel"). So, anyways, if you could, please recommend some good camping/fishing parks or resorts.

Swede was recommending Whidbey Island in a few other threads... that location sounds promising... but hit me with your favorites!

Thanks in advance!

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

RE:Wanted: Good Camping/Marine Fishing Destination

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Landlocked wrote:Your assistance is needed. I live in the Tri-Cities. This year, I want to go to the coast for some camping and marine fishing.

Since I don't have the luxury of time and distance to do the trial by error method, could any of you suggest some good camping/fishing spots? I'll be tent camping, by the way, and will want to be able to have a camp fire. Also, I'm not into "primitive-style" camping where there's absolutely no utilities (I know what you're thinking.... "go get a hotel"). So, anyways, if you could, please recommend some good camping/fishing parks or resorts.

Swede was recommending Whidbey Island in a few other threads... that location sounds promising... but hit me with your favorites!

Thanks in advance!
What type of marine fishing are you talking about? Do you have a boat or are you planning on pitching spoons/bait from shore? How much time do you have? Can't help much until you fill in the blanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:28 pm

id say WESTPORT if have or nor a boat ! fish of the jetty and the dock there crab is open year-round there!!!
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 pm

LaPush is very nice. There is a great campground/resort right on the main beach, and there's good fishing around there.

Landlocked
Petty Officer

Post by Landlocked » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:24 am

Thanks, thanks! And, I should have mentioned, I don't have a boat, so I'll be fishing from shore! Probably stay 3 to 4 nights.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:36 am

I've enjoyed the Seiku,Neah bay,or Pillar Points area for camping and fishing on the coast.Pillar Point is real nice and somewhat protected waters from ocean storms.You dont need a 24 ft plus boat to fish those areas.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 am

My family and I camp at Fort Stevens near Astoria, Or. We're headed there starting June 12th for camping and Sturgeon fishing. Looks like about a 5 hr drive for you. We tent camp the entire time just like you want to. There are plenty of restroom/shower facilities which the park staff keeps in great condition. Every location has a fire pit as well. Fort Stevens gets booked up fast, so if your interested, I would call them well in advance of your trip. We camp for 7 days straight and in order to get one location for that length of time, we have to reserve our spot about 4 months in advance. If you are serious about looking here, let me know, I have a copy of camp ground selections and should be able to email it to you.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:03 am

Deception Pass State Park: http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selected ... ubject=all

You got camping, hiking, fresh water, salt water, lots of great bank area to fish from.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 am

Deception is great.Fantastic idea except finding an open campsite might be extremely hard.I've camped there quite a bit and its very hard to get a spot.You might need to make reservations way in advanced but agin Rich hit it good.All kinds of fishing.Im thinking about Campbell lake this weekend.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:08 am

Camping on and off the San Juans Islands:-$ innner safe harbors a real treat and treasure chest as well and wildlife and views 2nd to little :cheers: :chef:
Attachments
A_record_was_Smashed_today-100.jpg
A_record_was_Smashed_today-100.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Big_John,Brian_and_Swede-117.jpg
Big_John,Brian_and_Swede-117.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 am

racfish wrote:Deception is great.Fantastic idea except finding an open campsite might be extremely hard.I've camped there quite a bit and its very hard to get a spot.You might need to make reservations way in advanced but agin Rich hit it good.All kinds of fishing.Im thinking about Campbell lake this weekend.
Yea, Deception Pass campground fills up fast. Ive had my camping reservation set up since October. Check here to look at whats available for any of the state parks or Tacoma Power parks. https://secure.camis.com/WA/DeceptionPassStatePark

Swede is right. Any of the SanJuan Islands are gonna have good beach access and fishing. I have lived in Oak Harbor and Friday Harbor, The scenery is A1 fantastic!!!
Attachments
HPIM2159_resize.JPG
HPIM2159_resize.JPG (54.4 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
HPIM2093_resize.JPG
HPIM2093_resize.JPG (67.65 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
HPIM2082_resize.JPG
HPIM2082_resize.JPG (38.12 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
HPIM2056_resize.JPG
HPIM2056_resize.JPG (57.42 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
HPIM2051_resize.JPG
HPIM2051_resize.JPG (41.8 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:37 am

I would recommend Grayland Beach State Park. You would need a reservation but it's a very nice park with many sites right next to the sand dunes just a minute from the ocean. Five miles north of the park is Westport where you can fish from the jetty, the Boardwalk pier, or you can charter a trip for bottom fish, salmon, or tuna. You can also throw a crab pot in and get some Dungeness for dinner and surf fish for perch when the tide is somewhat calm. We love this park and make several reservations each year there. They also have very nice restrooms with showers so you will be all set there. Plus most of the sites have water and electricity which is a nice thing, especially when using a tent. The pic if of a site we stay at often which is a one minute walk, maybe 50 yards to the ocean beach. Very nice! Also, there are some nice places to have lunch or dinner. The pizza place in Westport is very good and the bar/grill right near the street where the park entrance has good burgers and fries. You can also take a drive to Long Beach which is fun.

Pics: Camp site, sunset, and the walk to the beach from the sites. I have lots of pics of Westport, and this park if you want me to email them to you so you have a good idea what’s there.
Attachments
Grayland_2007_094_Small.jpg
Grayland_2007_094_Small.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Grayland_2007_033_Small.jpg
Grayland_2007_033_Small.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Grayland_2007_022_Small.jpg
Grayland_2007_022_Small.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Dave Dave Dave...Cant belive you missed a chance to show off our own Park..LOL..Cama with Cabins at almost nothing per night!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/hsh/1207841719.html

http://gonw.about.com/od/washingtonhote ... cabins.htm

They have the wooden boats there now for rent as well!

And our Very own Quadradomus stayed there and had great Reviews!!
http://washingtonlakes.com/ReportCommen ... lid=10&t=2
I vote for Cama state park...and I will come down and bring the hot dogs! And if you and your wants to go out and fish on the boat with me your more then welcome!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 am

Well, I thought about it but when he said tent camping and marine fishing I thought of Grayland Beach State Park which is one of my favorite spots and a stone’s throw from some of the best salt fishing in Washington State. I guess I also didn't think of staying in a cabin as camping but more of a “get away” so to speak.

Cama Beach is a very nice park but unfortunately in my 12 years of fishing this area and living here my salmon fishing experiences close to home have been fair at best with an exception of a few outings that netted keepers. Crabbing use to be phenomenal here until the State of Washington decided to allow the Tulalip Tribes to harvest crab for an entire month before the season opened to the general public which all but wipes out the keeper population before we get a chance to harvest a few. In addition, when 8-1 does open for crabbing, it receives enormous crabbing pressure which all but finishes off any remaining keepers in no time. This has forced me to resort to crabbing and salmon fishing in Area 8-2 which is a bummer because 8-1 is at our door step. I’m not saying you can’t catch a salmon or bottom fish in 8-1, or harvest a few crabs. I’m just saying the opportunity is minimal here compared to other areas. Since Landlocked is coming from Eastern WA (quite a drive) I thought his best bang for the buck for salt water fishing and camping was Grayland Beach State Park and Westport. So, if you head down to Cama with the hot dogs, let me know, I’ll bring the buns. :chef:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.