Local paper article about Salmon

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
shawn
Commander

Local paper article about Salmon

Post by shawn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 pm

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/mar/ ... ing-could/

Predictions about this years Salmon runs.Good and bad news.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Local paper article about Salmon

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 pm

shawn wrote:http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/mar/ ... ing-could/

Predictions about this years Salmon runs.Good and bad news.
Good pink run...But they are always good...

Chum run has been bad in the north sound as of late as has the Coho run...

Another bad year for Sockeye?#-o Darn, talk about a fun fishery for em on Lake WA...Loved that gig, would love to see it open. I'd love to see a hatchery on the Cedar just pump out fish so we could have a season every year....

I'm hoping this summers king fishery in Puget Sound is good like two years ago...

Thanks for the link shawn.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:19 am

THE chum runs are great they net#-o :-$ :batman: them all in the north sound AND ALL THE N.SOUND RIVER MOUTHS 24-7 THE LAST FEW YEARS, COMMERCIALS, TRIBES AND MORE!!!!:-$ :-#

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 am

I always wonder how they "predict". What they base it on.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:20 am

I'm sure someone from the fisheries will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a good portion of the estimate is based on the number of jacks that returned the previous year. Without the information on jacks you are left with the parental run size and guestimate of smolt survival based on river conditions and trapping/counting the fry. Sometimes the best guess can be way off, like the 2006 Sockeye return. If memory serves me right, the prediction for that year was less than the number required for them to open the fishery and what we got was one of the greatest returns recorded.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 am

Ocean survival this year and summer coming is one of the best in years.:cheers: :chef:

That being said NETS will flat line these numbers and futures fast#-o :-$

Jacks can be a good indicator as well:cyclopsan

The Commercials have the best Electronics made to man, they spread there pain far enough even a Swede will not feed:eye:

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 pm

A9, I'd be surprised if we ever get the lake wash. sockeye fishery open again. At this point it's not really about hatchery numbers, the problem is that the returning fish don't make it to the spawning grounds. The theory is that warmer water in the ship canal is stressing/killing the fish as they return to spawn. Without some way to get the fish past this it's pretty unlikely that the 350,000 fish escapement will be met anytime soon.

I know it's a bummer. I loved that fishery too.
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:23 pm

As far as are local Socks in the Lake system and returning numbers of them are last few years of extreme flooding left a bigger deeper dent in there programs and numbers or lack of them as well.