Mooching, Trolling or Jigging - Putting the *ing* in Fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishnislife
Admiral

Mooching, Trolling or Jigging - Putting the *ing* in Fishing

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm

These different techniques done correctly can each catch a boatload of fish. Which of these do you guys find to be the most successful and why?
I find myself trolling using a cut plug hearing more often than any other technique.
I'd be interested in hearing what you guys find is effective and what baits you use.

For those that would like more info. on these techniques and how to be successful doing them.

Mooching
http://www.usa10.com/2005/mooching_for_ ... how_to.htm

Trolling
http://www.usa10.com/2005/trolling_for_ ... how_to.htm

Jigging
http://www.usa10.com/2005/how_to_jig_for_salmon.htm

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gpc
Admiral

RE:Mooching, Trolling or Jigging - Putting the *ing* in Fishing

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:05 am

While fishing for salmon I mostly troll. I don't know why, that's just how I was taught. To me trolling is a lot more productive just because you can cover more ground. Even for trout and walleye, I know that still fishing with dough bait and jigging blade baits puts fish in the boat, but I still prefer trolling. In fact the only thing I don't prefer trolling for is pan fish, and I jig for those. I know how deadly it is to locate a school and just sit on top of it and nail all day long, but you never how how big that school is in comparison to the next school, the fish in the next school might be bigger and more abundant, and if you were to stop off at the first school and limit you might have just missed a chance at your personal best, or who knows that world record. But with trolling you can get the best of every school. Not to say that jigging and mooching arnt productive ways of catching fish, because they are. But I did catch my biggest salmon on a charter boat, not trolling

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:17 am

fishnislife wrote:I find myself trolling using a cut plug hearing more often than any other technique.
I'd be interested in hearing what you guys find is effective and what baits you use.
Depends on what I'm fishing for.... Silvers i like trolling a cut plug herring 6 feet or so behind a dodger. Pinks I like trolling a green or pink and red hoochie about 18 or so inches behind a flasher. Kings I like trolling a coyote spoon, or a plug (or cut plug herring) about 6 feet or so behind a dodger.

I'm not a fan of jigging or mooching for salmon. Downriggers are a must have for me.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:51 am

I'm not a fan of jigging either. Probably why I end up trolling while I'm out.
Has anyone consistently done well jigging?

Drewp, what color coyote do you use?

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 am

Trolling for Silvers and Kings, I've caught more fish on on green and glow hoochies (or bucktails) behind the biggest hotspot you can find, more than any other combo. The trick is tieing them. Always two and one half times the length of the flasher behind. 40 to 60 lb leader. For kings......... Big plugs. Big bait = big fish. You won't catch as many but when you do.

Smelly jelly on everthing you touch. Make sure your downrigger is totaly isolated from your hull. Spectra line. plastic clips and rubber snubbers to insulate. Oh yeah and some more smelly jelly. No people smell, if you smoke or eat anything wash your hands and smelly jelly before touching anything.

Tide change is the only time to catch fish. You can hang out all day and troll around and you might get lucky. Tide change is when it happens.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 am

fishnislife wrote:
Drewp, what color coyote do you use?
I like the chrome and green or chrome and blue. :alien: :bounce: :cheers:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:06 am

Green and glow with the silver/chrome hoola skirts inside. :-$ Coyote's too. Good for river kings.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bigfish
Angler

Post by bigfish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:28 am

I go with whatever is landing the fish, although I must admit I do prefer to troll. My target detrmines method most often, for coho I like the cut plug six feet behind the flasher, but only fresh bait, no pre-packaged! Chinook is usually a hot spot and hoochie, but as of late a coyote spoon has been very productive.