Hallie opening Aug 22-23, Ilwaco!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gisteppo
Commodore

Hallie opening Aug 22-23, Ilwaco!

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Anyone going to hit the hallie opening at the mouth?

The Thumb and I are headed to Buoy 10, meeting his brother there for the early part of the week. Salmon was the plan, but hallies are going to be an addendum.

Im soliciting any information possible about the halibut fishery there, as none of us have fished it before. ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED and will be swagged back!

E

kutthroatkilla
Commander

RE:Hallie opening Aug 22-23, Ilwaco!

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:45 pm

Fish the most southwestern edge of the C-Spot (closure) out of Illwaco. Big hali and good times. Good charting is great; you'll see the boats out there by the C Spot; can't really miss it (unless it's really foggy). Have a blast and be safe.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:12 pm

I didn't see any sandy/gravel humps out there, so Im guessing they are more along a certain depth line? Ill have to look for C spot on the map and my gps/chart deal.

Thanks!

E

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Gisteppo wrote:I didn't see any sandy/gravel humps out there, so Im guessing they are more along a certain depth line?
You won't be fishing gravel humps per say, it's mostly a deep water fishery out there (500ft and deeper). Here is a good link which shows just about every area worth a gander. It's generic, but there are some pretty sweet spots on here. The Canadian commercials are running Jambo out of business by bottom dragging everything from Canadian Swiftsure to the northern edge of La Perouse, but that's in Canadian water, and a different story altogether. You're fishing out of Illwaco. Follow the fleet; there should be a good amount of boats fishing this if the seas calm somewhat. Out of Illwaco you'll be fishing around the C shaped closure and there should be enforcement out there so be careful to stay out of the "C." Here's the link to the generic chart I base from:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18480.shtml

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 am

follow the pacific salmon charters boats. there will be 4 or 5 pulling out of there. they know the spot, and, usually limit fast, with some whoppers. very deepwater fishing. if you get there a day early, see if captain gene knowles is around the office. he can give the best current info, and, will do it willingly. wish I was going, but, playing softball in wenatchee!! GOOD LUCK!!

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:01 pm

michaelunbewust wrote:follow the pacific salmon charters boats. there will be 4 or 5 pulling out of there. they know the spot, and, usually limit fast, with some whoppers. very deepwater fishing.
Good advice. Hope it's not too foggy for the follow :-$ And yes, very deep water for sure...bring your strong arms.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Im spooled with 500 feet or so, that gonna hack?

E

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Im spooled with 500 feet or so, that gonna hack?

E
Man-up with about 500 yards of 50 pound power pro (what I use) or something along those lines. I picked up a real nice halibut reel last month from Cabelas which I use now. You'll be fishing in that 500'-650' range so you'll want a good amount of line. These fish you will catch will be large -- 40 - 125 pounds being taken quite often in this fishery. It's really fun! I took this halibut near the C this year...52 pounds...so they're out there!
Attachments
C-Spot_Hali.jpg
C-Spot_Hali.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Beauty!!

Good luck out there Gisteppo....I look forward to your report, and I can't wait till you get out to the islands crabbing! I'm extremely jealous....:bounce: l
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:58 pm

nice fish ktk
and to think thats just a small one:-# just messing with ya

hey do you guys ever think its odd how bass fisherman use 50lb and 65lb braid sometimes?
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:11 am

Here is an infuriating little tidbit.

We have to abort the hallie trip. WDFW in their infinite wisdom allocated a certain number of catchable fish. The Gillnetters caught 2900 EXTRA fish this year, so they are reducing catchable fish for the anglers.

CHINOOKS CLOSE SUNDAY NIGHT.

We can't take time fishin for hallies if they are going to tighten salmon up and close the fishery. If we get really lucky and we limit early, its a shot, but as for now we are screwed. Salmon was supposed to be open until Labor day, but now they are sealing it up Sunday at midnight. SOB's........

Thanks for the tips all, and we will give it a shot if we can. Otherwise, anyone up for a hallie trip in May?

E

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Here is an infuriating little tidbit.

We have to abort the hallie trip. WDFW in their infinite wisdom allocated a certain number of catchable fish. The Gillnetters caught 2900 EXTRA fish this year, so they are reducing catchable fish for the anglers.

We can't take time fishin for hallies if they are going to tighten salmon up and close the fishery. If we get really lucky and we limit early, its a shot, but as for now we are screwed. Salmon was supposed to be open until Labor day, but now they are sealing it up Sunday at midnight. SOB's........

Thanks for the tips all, and we will give it a shot if we can. Otherwise, anyone up for a hallie trip in May?

E
Yikes, that's not good. You bring up a good topic, however. As WashingtonLakers we could get a group of say 6 anglers and book for May out of Illwaco. I'd be one for an all go, E would be two, RwR would prob. go, making 3 anglers, etc. Something to surely think about so we can book soon if we so desire. It's really fun!! Sorry to hear about the trip E; sometimes things just have a way of working out for the better though even though it doesn't seem so now.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.