Where can I buy bait?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ShoreFisher
Angler

Where can I buy bait?

Post by ShoreFisher » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 am

Was wondering if anyone can point me to a bait shop that sells fresh herring or similar for some salmon fishing in the Everett area? I know I can get the frozen stuff but it doesn't seem to hold up as well as the fresh. Also was wondering what people are using for crabbing and where they are getting it. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, Matt F.

big fish lite line
Commander

RE:Where can I buy bait?

Post by big fish lite line » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm

as far as herring goes your pretty much stuck with the frozen stuff unless you find a herring ball. for crabbing I always use fish carcasses which I freeze after filleting. another thing thats works good is fresh chicken but I think fish works better.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:23 pm

oh yeah if your having problems with keeping herring on the hook I here it helps to soak them in brine over night.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:22 pm

ShoreFisher wrote:Was wondering if anyone can point me to a bait shop that sells fresh herring or similar for some salmon fishing in the Everett area? I know I can get the frozen stuff but it doesn't seem to hold up as well as the fresh. Also was wondering what people are using for crabbing and where they are getting it. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, Matt F.

If you go to the search function (the smaller, lower tabs) search under Fresh herring, go to page 1 of the found topics. You will see a list of places that sell or once did sell live herring. You can get it from Bud's bait in Edmonds, they will shock it b4 they give it to you, so at least it will hold up and not go to moosh, but it still won't squiggle out of your hands.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:49 pm

pt. defiance boathouse sells live herring for cheaper then the frozen stuff!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Your in Everett correct? Hop in the boat and jump across to the Possession Point bait shop/House. It's on the south east side of the island, looking right across 8-2 at Mukilteo. Pull your boat ashore and go ask for however much live bait you want. Great people running the place their, they even dump some small salmon every year in front of their place, so a couple hundred/thousand silvers show up in September there and have no place to go, so it's a decent fishery off the shore using live herring under floats...

For crab bait: Fresh carcasses of any saltwater fish I catch. Why throw it away? Stick it in the freezer, and when needed, stuff in a baitbox and let it catch some dungies....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....