C-Spot, 72-Squared, Blue Dot, D-Ledge and the famous StinkyHole -- Halibut, Salmon 2007

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

C-Spot, 72-Squared, Blue Dot, D-Ledge and the famous StinkyHole -- Halibut, Salmon 2007

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Halibut Fishing:

This year it's been pretty good so far. We did well for Lings at the 72-Squared. I like this fishery. It's about a 45 mile run out and then another 45 miles back in, but in a 24 foot inflatable Mercury, it's a freaking hoot (Twin 200 Yami's). We caught lings up to 35 pounds and halibut to 80. The C-Spot is good on an opener, but the weather has been so fickle. The Carmanah side of the Strait has really heated up for halis. Try around 210, 6 miles off Carmanah, and then work your way out toward the eastern end of the bank. Swiftsure really heats up in July, and late August. My best fishing time out there is in late August when the salmon come in. Many seals are out there feasting on the salmon...so all the remains float to the bottom, and the halis and doggies pick up a free meal. Good spots to try, or should I say the well known spots are the bouy marking the switch to international waters. Just behind that bouy we locked into a 110, 50, 45, and 25 last year. Lots of doggies. Go with MuddRakers in the black/orange skirt and then the proverbial white glow in the dark PowerGrubb Worms...they work here...not so much up north. Great area for late season halibut fishing. I always fish Canadian waters, cause U.S. sucks with their regulations and stuff. 1 Halibut for about $150 worth of boat fuel...haha, not worth it. The D-Ledge which is up by Carmanah, I have the coordinates is freaking on fire right now. Guys out of Bamfield are pulling lots of 80+ pound fish and quickly too. Try this area on low current changes. It's around 190 in depth and rises to 110. For those that venture the some 50 miles out and 50 miles back try the StinkyHole. Fish it with worms cause the doggies will get you every time. Great area though. Good for a (2) limit of around 20-30 pound fish. I haven't caught anything over 50 there since I've been fishing it for ten years. It rarely dissapoints, and when it does go to the Belly or Inner Southbank. Troll inner South. Lot's of 15 pound chickens there and the occasional 40.

Salmon:

Blue Dot! In 2004 we just hammered Kings at Blue Dot with only one other boat around us. Large, 6-7" green and blue commerical spoons do the trick. We ended up fishing around 110 feet to 220 feet. Most were deep. These fish were huge. We let most go, I think one we kept pushed 52 pounds. Just a great area when it's open! I've fished Neah Bay/Port Renfrew since I was 4 years old. I'm 22 now, and it's in the blood. The ocean is a sweet thing, and we must preserve what we so greatly treasure. It won't be long that US Halibut is closed year round. It's a shame too, cause there's a lot out there to still explore and fish! Well good luck to all that fish these areas, and be safe!! If you have any questions, I'm at -- xplode410@hotmail.com -- I used to guide out of Port Renfrew when I was 20 so I know these waters well and would be able to give up some hot coordies, as I can't fish it like I used to anymore due to chronic illness. God Bless you all.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.