Mutiny Bay/Useless Bay Halibut

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kuttkilla
Captain

Mutiny Bay/Useless Bay Halibut

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:20 am

Anyone fished Mutiny Bay or Useless Bay on the Puget Sound Halibut Opener? I'm wondering if Mutiny might hold some nice fish...I heard it's a lot of hit and miss and lots of dogfish and rock sole...herring stealers and leader ruiners (dogfish). I think Mutiny could be alright, but yet again, it is late in the season. March is prime for halis, but it's not open then.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Mutiny Bay/Useless Bay Halibut

Post by A9 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 am

Mutiny Bay (Windmill hole) is where you wanna put your time in if your looking for some 'buts. Lots of people wll start off using herring but if the dog fish become a nuisance then they will turn to jigs or B2 Squid...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

irishrogue
Petty Officer

Post by irishrogue » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm new to that area, but we'll be putting some time out there the second week... The counsel I've gotten is that the tide swings the first week (first couple days in particular, including tomorrow) are too big for good fishing.... Since I'm a noob at this, I'm trusting the advice (grin)

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Ron Garner is giving his last presentation tomorrow, anyone going?

"I am giving my last halibut seminar for the year this Thursday April 10 opening day at PSA Sno-King. I am going to be covering the ocean and straits. Ever since we got the straits halibut fishery season moved earlier it has been fantastic. I will be covering everything from start to finish. I will even be showing rigging presentations live and on my power point program on the screen. Opening day-Thursday and Friday's tides are not very good. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are the best tides for halibut fishing. I have picked up harpoons, gear, rods and reels for the raffle. All quality gear. One rod is the Trevalia Shimano unbreakable rod. We landed marlin and sailfish on this little light weight rod in Mexico. (I bought two for myself) It has been fun giving these. So far three for the Seattle Boat Show, One for PSA Eastside, and one for PSA San Juans. All were packed houses. It has been fun. Now to go fishing. There is food and drink available for those coming straight from work. Free admission."

Ron Garner
PSA Sno-King
President
Meeting
SCSC
220 Railroad Ave
Edmonds, WA
Thursday April 10 6:30 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Kutt, If you go to the meeting also check with Spud (I think it's Murphy). He's fished Mutiny Bay.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:11 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:Kutt, If you go to the meeting also check with Spud (I think it's Murphy). He's fished Mutiny Bay.
Will do. Are you going to the meeting Bill? I'm not sure who to look for (or who not to look for :batman: )...I presume the information will be very generic, but it'd be fun to meet some other anglers, nonetheless and learn more about halibut fishing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irishrogue
Petty Officer

Post by irishrogue » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 pm

I might shoot up there -- work and family need to be sorted out but it could happen... KK, I'll drop you a note if it works out... I expect this to be an excellent presentation, and CROWDED too...

If I can't make it, I'll have to debrief with you sometime this weekend, Arima style (grin).

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:13 pm

irishrogue wrote:KK, I'll drop you a note if it works out... I expect this to be an excellent presentation

If I can't make it, I'll have to debrief with you sometime this weekend, Arima style (grin).
Haha, no doubt :joker: "Arima style" lol, love it. :) Hope to see you there roguester.

I'm also going to be booking on Mike's boat for mid August...can't wait - love to have some fellow WL'ers come along, I'm thinking August 11th or 12th:

http://www.jambossportfishing.com/index ... =view&id=5
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:57 am

kuttkilla wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:Kutt, If you go to the meeting also check with Spud (I think it's Murphy). He's fished Mutiny Bay.
Will do. Are you going to the meeting Bill? I'm not sure who to look for (or who not to look for :batman: )...I presume the information will be very generic, but it'd be fun to meet some other anglers, nonetheless and learn more about halibut fishing.
I used to be a member at Sno-King but found it hard to get to the meetings on time. So...not a member right now.

Murphy used to be one of the ticket takers at the door and I seem to remember him talking about Mutiny Bay halibut.

I imagine they will point out the general location of the couple of halibut holes in Mutiny. Probably wouldn't pass out GPS coordinates..but still give fairly good directions.

Bill

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote: I used to be a member at Sno-King but found it hard to get to the meetings on time. So...not a member right now.

Murphy used to be one of the ticket takers at the door and I seem to remember him talking about Mutiny Bay halibut.

I imagine they will point out the general location of the couple of halibut holes in Mutiny. Probably wouldn't pass out GPS coordinates..but still give fairly good directions.

Bill
IrishRogue and myself (kuttkilla) will be there tonight! Look forward to meeting some of you! Say hi and introduce yourself! Dark red sweatshirt...should be fun!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.