MA-11 Boat launch?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
salmonkiller
Petty Officer

MA-11 Boat launch?

Post by salmonkiller » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

I was thinking of crabbing / fishing Sunday (6-18) but last time i was at point defiance it was a nightmare for parking and that was during the week.

Is Redondo any better?

I know they are running the shuttle to the elementary school near point defiance, but man.. that doesn't sound fun at all....

I dont mind getting to the launch at 5AM.

ANy suggestions ?

G-Man
Admiral

Re: MA-11 Boat launch?

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 pm

If the weather is fair and you know how to back your trailer around a corner, then Redondo will work for you. If you aren't confident in your backing skills, you may want to have a look before you go. I've not had issues finding parking in the lot just know that regardless of where you park your empty trailer, pay the launch fee. There are signs up stating vehicles with empty trailers parked within a certain distance of the launch will be ticketed if they do not display a valid launch pass.

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm

G-Man wrote:If the weather is fair and you know how to back your trailer around a corner, then Redondo will work for you. If you aren't confident in your backing skills, you may want to have a look before you go. I've not had issues finding parking in the lot just know that regardless of where you park your empty trailer, pay the launch fee. There are signs up stating vehicles with empty trailers parked within a certain distance of the launch will be ticketed if they do not display a valid launch pass.
I have never been there before...

Ohhh around a corner... i just looked at google earth... I can manage that...

Im thinking with crabbing opening up Friday.. its gonna be a zoo wherever i go...

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Get there for the early slack tide (around 4:00am) and you should have no problems launching or scoring your limit of crab. [biggrin]
There is lots of light in the early morning hours now.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I just can't stand not punishing myself....I'm heading down there tomorrow at 10:00! LOL! Just gotta see how bad it's gonna be to launch. Film at 11:00!
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Cant wait to hear about it! I'll be headed out there soon too. Ive never launched there, but squidded off of the dock there a lot. Traffic might make the launch tough at that time?
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 am

Got there at 9:30 and was surprised to see the launch was not that busy. Most guys got there at o'dark thirty to get a jump on the crab I guess. Launching was not hard, but parking is a freaking nightmare. There are literally only about 15 parking spaces for truck/trailer combos, and 5 are handicap. You have to go park up on the street somewhere and then walk to a collection point for a shuttle to bring you back down to the water! I wonder how long it's going to take the "Tweekers" to realize theres a buffet served on the streets of vehicles that no one will return to for hours?

Does anyone know what the heck they are building there? It's huge whatever it is, and all the upper level parking is gone! This summer is going to be hell on earth trying to use that launch!
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:23 am

We got to Redondo around 5:15 and there was only a ½ dozen trucks and trailers parked in the launch parking area.
We dropped 2 pots near Dash point area (80 feet deep)… and then headed over to point defiance to troll for blackmouth. We fish for about an hour and a half with no luck but a small rock fish…..

Picked up the 2 pots and they each had about 5 or 6 red rock crabs…..

Dropped them back down (60-70 feet of water) and ate some breakfast and took a snooze…. Picked them back up about 45 min later and they were empty....

Put them back down.. one in about 40 feet of water and the other in about 95 feet of water and headed back to Redondo to let my dog out for a potty break.

Went back to pick them up and each pot had 1 red-rock crab….

Puzzled………

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 pm

salmonkiller wrote:We got to Redondo around 5:15 and there was only a ½ dozen trucks and trailers parked in the launch parking area.
We dropped 2 pots near Dash point area (80 feet deep)… and then headed over to point defiance to troll for blackmouth. We fish for about an hour and a half with no luck but a small rock fish…..

Dropped them back down (60-70 feet of water) and ate some breakfast and took a snooze…. Picked them back up about 45 min later and they were empty....

Put them back down.. one in about 40 feet of water and the other in about 95 feet of water and headed back to Redondo to let my dog out for a potty break.

Puzzled………
I have not seen a single good report for crabbing anywhere south of Port Angelus so far this year. Its depressing. Did the commercials and tribes get to go first again this year and clean them out?

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Larry3215 wrote:
salmonkiller wrote:We got to Redondo around 5:15 and there was only a ½ dozen trucks and trailers parked in the launch parking area.

Puzzled………
I have not seen a single good report for crabbing anywhere south of Port Angelus so far this year. Its depressing. Did the commercials and tribes get to go first again this year and clean them out?

I was unaware that the Puget Sound crab fishery was commercially harvested.

Could be the MILLIONS of gallons of sewage leaked into the Sound this year in the City of Seattle treatment plant into the Sound or the INDUSTRIAL ammonia leak into Thea Foss waterway 10 days ago. Just sayin...

Nice to know this administration aims to cut 98% of the funds already earmarked for the clean up of pollution in Puget Sound, as well as the Great Lakes and Chesapeke Bay.

Yeah, blame the tribes

onmygame

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

I may well be wrong about the commercial harvest. I just ASSumed they did. My bad.

As far as the tribes, I didnt mean that to come across as poorly as it did. Its just that last year I saw more tribal pots in areas where we crab than I ever have before, and in all kinds of depths - mostly before the season opened for us - hence my question.

The pollution thing didnt even occur to me and I missed the news on the ammonia leak. My bad again....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Bay wolf wrote:Got there at 9:30 and was surprised to see the launch was not that busy. Most guys got there at o'dark thirty to get a jump on the crab I guess. Launching was not hard, but parking is a freaking nightmare. There are literally only about 15 parking spaces for truck/trailer combos, and 5 are handicap. You have to go park up on the street somewhere and then walk to a collection point for a shuttle to bring you back down to the water! I wonder how long it's going to take the "Tweekers" to realize theres a buffet served on the streets of vehicles that no one will return to for hours?

Does anyone know what the heck they are building there? It's huge whatever it is, and all the upper level parking is gone! This summer is going to be hell on earth trying to use that launch!
This is what they are building
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/loca ... 31054.html
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

db340
Petty Officer

Post by db340 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm

I have not seen a single good report for crabbing anywhere south of Port Angelus so far this year. Its depressing. Did the commercials and tribes get to go first again this year and clean them out?[/quote]

I was unaware that the Puget Sound crab fishery was commercially harvested.

Could be the MILLIONS of gallons of sewage leaked into the Sound this year in the City of Seattle treatment plant into the Sound or the INDUSTRIAL ammonia leak into Thea Foss waterway 10 days ago. Just sayin...

Nice to know this administration aims to cut 98% of the funds already earmarked for the clean up of pollution in Puget Sound, as well as the Great Lakes and Chesapeke Bay.
Puget Sound Commercial Dungeness Crab Fishery

Note: The following regulations are the opening emergency regulations for the 2015-2016 season. In-season emergency regulations will be posted on this site as they occur. You can also call the Commercial Crab Hotline at the number posted to the left of this page for the latest emergency regulations.

Puget Sound is home to two fleets of commercial vessels, Tribal and State. The State commercial crab fleet possesses about 248 licenses. The fishery is currently limited to this number of licenses, however current license holders may transfer an existing license to a new party. Information on Tribal fishing in Puget Sound is ava
Yeah, blame the tribes

onmygame[/quote]

From the WDFW website , I am sure sure there has been no significant changes,

Puget Sound Commercial Dungeness Crab Fishery

Note: The following regulations are the opening emergency regulations for the 2015-2016 season. In-season emergency regulations will be posted on this site as they occur. You can also call the Commercial Crab Hotline at the number posted to the left of this page for the latest emergency regulations.

Puget Sound is home to two fleets of commercial vessels, Tribal and State. The State commercial crab fleet possesses about 248 licenses. The fishery is currently limited to this number of licenses, however current license holders may transfer an existing license to a new party. Information on Tribal fishing in Puget Sound is available through the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Its nice to be proven correct - thanks! I wish I could take more credit for it though. I really was just assuming that the commercial guys who fish the ocean waters also fished inside.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up, as I said I was unaware that they crabbed commercially in the Sound.

I'm in Tacoma though, and rarely get north of Seattle out in the Sound. I see that the commercials do their crabbing mostly around Blaine, and do not fish anywhere south of Everett, so shouldn't be impacting the population this far south.

onmygame