Pt. Wilson Darts Question: Swivel on the Hook?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Pt. Wilson Darts Question: Swivel on the Hook?

Post by TyeeMatt » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:20 am

I'm setting down to rig up my salmon jigs and noticed in the tackle box that I "share" with my Dad that he added a swivel to the split ring before putting the hook on. I understand what he's trying to do, which is minimize the opportunity for a fish to get leverage on the hook and break off, but it seems like it may make the hook sit at a weird angle as it is moving up and down in the water. Do any of you saltwater salmon jig fishermen add a swivel to the split ring and then attach the hook to that...or am I right and should I just continue attaching the hook directly to the split ring at the bottom of the jig? Thanks all.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Pt. Wilson Darts Question: Swivel on the Hook?

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 pm

I prefer to use a swivel on hard baits like spoons, plugs and jigs. However, you may want to try rigging your jigs butterfly style if you are more concerned with how they could effect the movement of the jig. You can make them yourself using heavy braid and heatshrink tubing or purchase hooks pre-tied for just this purpose.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 am

picbutterfly12.jpg
picbutterfly12.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
G-man's suggestion concerning "butterfly" style rigging is spot on. By moving the hook to the top of the jig it also works great for not snagging on the bottom if you are fishing for rockfish, lings, etc.

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks guys. I've never seen that rigging before and will try it once I'm home and closer to where I can pick up some of the materials. For now...I'll throw some swivels on there. Wish me luck. "Springs" are being caught all over up here where I am in BC. In past years I've lost at least a couple each summer after long fights and was too stubborn to add that swivel, but deep down knew that some of them were just getting leverage on the jig and popping the hook. Dad was right...again.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;