Looking for a lever drag level wind reel

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mustang65fbk
Angler

Looking for a lever drag level wind reel

Post by mustang65fbk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello all, this is my first post so I apologize if it's been mentioned before but I'm looking for a lever drag reel with a level wind as I can't stand star drag reels. I do a majority of my fishing at my beach cabin on the southern part of Whidbey island near the possession buoy or at point no point fishing for silvers or kings off a down rigger or live bait and this reel will be setup with a 9'6" Fetha styx chrome down rigger rod. I'm trying to get something for around the $200 range. I've found the shimano charter special, okuma solterra, penn 320-330LD, penn 975LD and a few that they use over in Europe like Rovex or Fin-nor so far. Are there any others out there that you would recommend and if not, which of the above would you recommend? It seems to me that star drags are either too tight or too loose and I'm not a fan of them. Thanks again and have a good day.

Ed J
Petty Officer

Re: Looking for a lever drag level wind reel

Post by Ed J » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:43 pm

check out the avet MXL 5.8 it will beat the reels you mentioned hands down.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:24 pm

I have around 2 dozen of the charter specials and love them!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:I have around 2 dozen of the charter specials and love them!

I know it's not the intended use, but.... are those charter specials usable for casting a buzz bomb off a saltwater beach?

Looking for a level wind reel (for buzz bombing) whose internal parts won't fall apart from rust and corrosion after a season of use in the salt.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:47 am

Two words... Penn Reels... The old ones not this new Asian crap...

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:55 am

Hello mustang65fbk and welcome. When it comes to star drag reels, I used to use words I probably shouldn't *lol* That is until I tried a Mitchell Riptide reel on an Okuma Tundra pole. I truly like the Riptide. It's the only star drag level wind that doesn't drive me bananas. I also use a Penn Captiva spinning reel spooled with braided line on an Elite Uglystik. Great for distance casting Buzzbombs or other lures. =D>
Bobber_Dogger

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 am

From my experience the shimano charter special is going to be the best quality lever drag in that price range.

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Another +1 for the charter special.

If you're wanting the do-it-all PNW reel, Avet MX or MXJ would be the choice though.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:40 am

I run two charter specials on my boat. They are certainly not the best reels made but they are pretty damn bullet proof. Very easy to work on with parts readily available online as well which is bonus. I have rebuilt my own.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:12 am

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:I know it's not the intended use, but.... are those charter specials usable for casting a buzz bomb off a saltwater beach?

Looking for a level wind reel (for buzz bombing) whose internal parts won't fall apart from rust and corrosion after a season of use in the salt.
You're not gonna be able to cast super far with them. They lack the magnetic brake and spool brake that most "casting" reels have. They work fine for chucking big lead sturgeon fishing but IDK if they would work well for buzzbombs. I would probably stick to a good spinning reel for that. I use the Okuma Avenger Bait feeders in the salt and have for two years now and they are holding up well even after seeing lingcod abuse. For a good cost effective "casting" reel I would look at the Abu ORRA