Have all the Pinks moved?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cobrar543
Lieutenant

Have all the Pinks moved?

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:39 am

I see a lot of River reports on Pink Salmon, but no one is talking about the sound any longer. Is it still worth going to the ship wreck area or the hollows or is that a cold area now until the Coho move in more?

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Re: Have all the Pinks moved?

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 am

I was out at Shipwreck and Picnic Point last week, Wednesday thru Friday before the storm and slayed them. Fish everywhere. Would also love to know if anyone has been out this week. I'm assuming there are still a ton of fish out there since the Sno isn't quite teaming with huge numbers yet. I fish from a little orange/brown kayak, if you see me say hi!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:57 am

The coho are in NOW don't waste any time waiting for them. They have been catching steady limits in many of the go-to areas.

See you out there.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:01 am

Shilshole ramp 8/30/15 - 30 boats with 35 Coho. And that was a week ago.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Actually, were you out today? I saw a Kayak out there, north of the Wreck, pretty much mid channel. I've seen kayaks closer in around Browns Bay but not that far out.

By myself, got 2 Silvers and 2 Pinks and done by 8:15. Really small Silvers, 3 to 4 pounds, closer to 3 really. Hope they get bigger. If that was you out there it must have got interesting, cause about the time I quit that north wind starting blowing pretty good.

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Nope wasn't me unfortunately, I'm stuck in a cubicle today. I'll be out in the mornings all weekend though. I'm usually not quite half way out, 1/3 maybe a little more from shore. Usually on the edge of where all the boats troll. Did you mark a lot of fish? I'm not trolling, just casting a buzz bomb. Not sure if I'll get any silvers that way.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:07 pm

I didn't have time to look at the fish finder. For an hour and 15 I was either playing a fish, bleeding it, putting it in the box or getting the gear back in the water. 50 feet on the DR seemed to be the number. I wont be going out until next Tues.

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:26 pm

sounds like you had a successful morning!

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Where at barchaser?

p_sherman
Angler

Post by p_sherman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:09 am

Had luck at Edmonds Pier all week!

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:21 pm

TeachingTitusToFish wrote:I was out at Shipwreck and Picnic Point last week, Wednesday thru Friday before the storm and slayed them. Fish everywhere. Would also love to know if anyone has been out this week. I'm assuming there are still a ton of fish out there since the Sno isn't quite teaming with huge numbers yet. I fish from a little orange/brown kayak, if you see me say hi!
TeachingTitusToFish - where do you launch kayak when you go to shipwreck? I launched today from Picnic Point - it is a hell difficult way through all these tunnels above rail road. Are there any other suitable places to launch in this area? Thank you!

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:54 pm

I launch for picnic point. Do you mean the bridge that crosses the railroad, because there are no tunnels? Yeah it's a pain hauling it from the parking lot to the beach. I did it one time and now I just strap the kayak to one of those folding wagons from costco, you can also use the kayak carts, but I dont currently own one of those. Still a long walk, but it beats carrying it.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:02 pm

TeachingTitusToFish - thank you! Yes, that bridge is exactly what I meant. Even with cart it is not easy to bring kayak with all equipment to the beach. By the way, do you know any other places to launch a kayak in this area?

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Unfortunately no, the only other option I would suggest is launching from the lighthouse park at Mukilteo. It's a much easier since the parking lot is next to the beach. The only downside is they now charge for parking. It's a long paddle from there to Shipwreck though. I tried it on Saturday and ended up having my friends (who were in a little 12ft aluminum with a motor) tow me back with them when the water started getting too choppy in the afternoon.

BuckRimfire
Angler

Post by BuckRimfire » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:08 pm

To repeat the OP question...I didn't get out last weekend. Is it too late to try Shilshole Bay again?

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Last creel report from Shilshole is 9/12 - 234 anglers, 108 Coho and 6 Pink.

Coho, sounds like they are still there, Pinks, not so much.