headed to sekiu

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: headed to sekiu

Post by hewesbob » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Good info Barchaser, I will be trying it tomorrow. Thanks

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:27 am

I don't know what the tides are doing this week. If there are real strong tides sometimes I'll troll with the tide and then run back up to the head of the troll area and go back through again. Cover more area and maybe show the lures to more fish. They do the same idea on the Columbia for Springers. If you try the Tomics keep the troll speed well above 3, you'll have a pretty shallow angle on the cable and put the Tomic 40 feet or so back from the release.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

We trolled with the tide each way today, released several wild kings up to about 15 pounds. We released tons of 12 to 14 inch blackmouth. At times we couldn't keep the pinks off, we only kept the pinks that were bleeding. We finished the day 3 kings over 10 pounds each and 9 pinks in the boat for three of us. We fished in 160 to 180 ft of water from Slip point to Pillar Point and fished 120 ft deep.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11 pm

i usually just use a deep six and do well on silvers and kings.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 pm

I did see some guys get Chinooks just mooching around the Caves. I've always been a troller not much of a moocher. Hewes.. you really should try a 5" Tomic trolled fast and deep, they work. Kydaka Pt. always seems the place for that. Glow plugs, light em up with a camera flash. We got lots of small Chinooks and mostly wild Silvers also. No Pinks at all, we trolled pretty fast even with flashers, maybe too fast for Pinks. I'm going again but not til next week, I hope the Chinooks are still there.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:09 pm

All great info guys. Hopefully we find some keeper kings. Gonna just leave my sled at home and go out withy brother. Hes got downriggers and junk. Plus that way i can just be a passenger and work on my 12 oz. Curls.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:04 am

Anybody headed back to CQ this week? I'll be back over there from Tues to Friday. Staying at Olsons, Seahawk/bluetrim. I'll be on 68. We are hoping to do as well on Chinooks as we did two weeks ago. This may getting a little late for Chinooks though. Not interested in Pinks, we'll fish mostly deep, fast and closer to shore.

Spoonman, how did you do?

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Put 8 hatchery kings in the boat. Biggest was 15 pounds. Trolling in front of the caves in about 90 feet of water, 70 feet on the cable. All caught on spoons. Red racer dodger and red racer spoon acounted for most of our kings. Purple haze dodger and cop car also effective. Hooked something that broke my 30 pound maxima leader this morning. Lots of unclipped fish around. Lots of humpies.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:53 am

Excellent advice Bay Wolf re trolling mooching leads just above the kelp beds. Hit the incoming or return tide too =D>
Bobber_Dogger

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:49 am

Your experience was pretty much exactly what three of us had two weeks ago, 8 hatchery fish 10-18 and 5 bigger wild fish (so called) 2 in the 20's and one over 30. We also released dozens of small wild Silver and Nooks. We got some on Kingfish spoons but did better on white/chatruse squids with a Ace Hi Fly insert and salted herring strip. I used to have fish break the line between the lure and the flasher. They get the flasher sideways in a turn and pretty easy to break 30. Couple years aback I switched to 40 pound fluorocarbon leader and no breaks since I switched.
spoonman wrote:Put 8 hatchery kings in the boat. Biggest was 15 pounds. Trolling in front of the caves in about 90 feet of water, 70 feet on the cable. All caught on spoons. Red racer dodger and red racer spoon acounted for most of our kings. Purple haze dodger and cop car also effective. Hooked something that broke my 30 pound maxima leader this morning. Lots of unclipped fish around. Lots of humpies.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:56 am

CQ continues to do pretty well on Chinooks while the number of Pinks is down. Looks like the bulk of the Pink run has moved further in. Fine with me, I don't go over there for Pinks, I can stay home and get loads of those.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:04 am

BARCHASER wrote:CQ continues to do pretty well on Chinooks while the number of Pinks is down. Looks like the bulk of the Pink run has moved further in. Fine with me, I don't go over there for Pinks, I can stay home and get loads of those.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly. Why go all that way for a few pinks? This was my first trip to sekiu. And i gotta say im hooked!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Slowed down some. I got a 17 pound Chinook and an 8 pound Silver. My buddy two chinooks in the teens and one Silver, all fish were clipped. I released an unmarked Chinook at least 25, a really pretty fish, and had a brute break 30 pd mainline which I'm sure was also not clipped. Lots of small mostly unmarked Chinooks and Silvers. No Pinks.

Bad news, broke the tilt on my 8hp Yami on that damn road along the Strait. Had to make do with a stick to keep the mtr halfway tilted to clear the road. Went back on the road to 101 at Sappho. Never taking that piece of crap Strait road again!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Ive heard that road is hard on boats.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:46 pm

highway 112. always take that road going, 101 and a stop at sutherland on the way back. only issue was a wheel bearing going out and being flat beded back to port angelas.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:20 pm

We are thinking of heading up to Sekiu for two or three days of fishing in week or two. It will be a mid-week trip.

Any recommendations between Van Ripers and Olsens as far as rooms? We will rent a slip from Olsens either way. Last time we fished Sekiu was maybe 10-12 years ago and Im sure things have changed some since then.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:39 pm

By the way, not looking for fancy at all, but the last time we booked a room in Port Angeles the room smelled like a construction crew had just had a party, the AC didnt work, the beds had more lumps than mattress and the shower was so small you had to slid in sideways and once you were in the water was a luke warm trickle and the shower head was at your waste and would not turn in any direction. Oh - and you had to sit on the pot sideways because there was no room in front of the seat for your legs!

I am not making any of that up either!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Your last part sounds similar to Olson's. But they have new owners and they are fixing it up. They will probably have room. I don't know about Van Ripers.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:00 am

I have not stayed in a room at Olson's in long time. We normally take the camper. We started staying at Van Riper's a few years ago. Olson's had got so run down. It may be better now. We have used van Riper's rooms and they are clean and nice. We went for two quick trips this year and didn't want to put the camper on the truck. No AC in the rooms, but most of the time thats OK. We could have used it some this year. The one room did not have dish soap the other one did. They have dishes and pans, you can use but clean up or leave a tip. Bath room was OK. Beds were fine.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks guys! We had been leaning towards Van Ripers because of our past old experiences with Olsons. I think we will try Van Ripers this time. Will post a review when we gt back.