San Juan Kings

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishing magician
Petty Officer

San Juan Kings

Post by fishing magician » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:13 pm

I have heard people are doing decent in the Juans for some kings. I was gonna head out crabbing by Saddlebag or east Guemes Island in a few weeks and give the salmon a try too. Any tips on where to go? I have fished for kings before out of Sekiu and have that area and the gear figured out but I am not real familiar with salmon fishing in the Islands. Thanks!

Matt
Admiral

Re: San Juan Kings

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:48 am

In that immediate area is Secret harbor. You troll from Broughton Pt to Cypress Head. Don't go inside the bay where the net pens are, there is a cable crossing in the area that you can/will get hung up on if you get in too tight. Search Secret Harbor fishing in google, John Martini's of Johns Sporting Goods has a detailed map and info posted for that location.

Across the channel from Secret is the Indian Village troll off the NW tip of Guemes. Troll from where the beach starts to the tip.

On a flood tide, the troll from Tide Point to Eagle Bluff can be good, and has had fish this season. North side of Cypress island, you'll see the boats, can't miss it. There's usually a stack of 10-50 guys in there on the flood. On the Ebb you can fish the Straberry Island side there.

Ebb tides, fish Obstruction Pass or Point Lawrence both off of Orcas.

That should bee a good start. Good luck and have fun! Use small gear right on the bottom, needlefish Ace-Hi's or 3" Kingfisher spoons. Any color as long as its green.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:41 am

You know the place for sure. I kept my 18' Glas Ply at a boat house on the Guemes Channel for 5 years in the 80's. We used to knock the Kings dead at Secret Harbor jigging pipe jigs and Pt. Wilson Darts. Winter Blackmouth were good too. My buddy was an airline pilot then and he owned at a cabin on Blakely, so we used to stay at his place and fish. You forgot Black Rock, Thatcher Pass on the Ebb. I have friends in Mt Vernon and I usually fish Rosario once or twice in the summer. There are lots of Pinks in the Rosario Strait right now. We're going to Sekiu tomorrow.

Rocky bottoms so watch your downrigger depth. I still have several balls laying here and there in that area.

fishing magician
Petty Officer

Post by fishing magician » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for the tips!