Noob to Halibut fishing on a boat. what setup?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishee2
Petty Officer

Noob to Halibut fishing on a boat. what setup?

Post by fishee2 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:57 pm

So I am thinking about fishing for Halibut.

I want to know what is the most reliable cheapest setup. Rod & Reel.

And what braided line weight do I need for main line? 50# 100#?

Thanks All! :)

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Noob to Halibut fishing on a boat. what setup?

Post by BentRod » Tue May 19, 2015 6:36 pm

6' Ugly Stik or Penn rod 40-80# rating ($30-$50), Penn Senator 3/0 or 4/0 or Penn Jigmaster ($40-$80). 300 yds 60-100# braided line (~$20-$30?).
However, look around craigslist for used. I got an Ugly Stik rod with Senator 3/0 reel spooled with 100# braid for $50.
You can get away with lighter gear such as a Penn 209 or 309 level wind and a lighter rated rod, but they won't take as much abuse.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Re: Noob to Halibut fishing on a boat. what setup?

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Thu May 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Excellent choice of rod and reel Bent Rod. I'm a big fan of Ugly Sticks and Penn spin cast reels loaded with braided Spider Wire! Personally, I'd go longer than a 6 footer so you can use it for other types of fishing. I'm curious where Noob's going for halibut?
Bobber_Dogger