Fishing the Westport Boardwalk

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Fishing the Westport Boardwalk

Post by Reel_Nut » Wed May 07, 2014 2:55 pm

I fished the Westport Boardwalk last Friday. Had a great day. I caught 8 very nice black rockfish. 2 of them were in the three pound range. The bait i was using was Pile worms.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Re: Fishing the Westport Boardwalk

Post by Reel_Nut » Wed May 07, 2014 6:42 pm

How do I add a picture to my post? I have a nice pic of the bass I caught.

Thanks.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Just use image shack or photo bucket. The docks that are where the boats all come out? I have never fished there but have always thought about trying it when jetty is nasty. Fishing bottom or jigging? Under a float?

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 pm

nice work. did you catch them in the daytime? if I catch some of the black rockfish off the boardwalk over the years during the day, they seemed to be smaller and fewer. Haven't tried for them towards dusk and into the evening.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu May 08, 2014 1:57 pm

I fished out on that fishing pier like 8 years ago when I was getting back in to fishing.. it was fun, I thought I was catching sharks and I was a serious badass! little did I know I was catching bottom feeding menaces :)

I got perch and rock fish off there

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Sun May 11, 2014 5:06 am

I always fish the incoming tide. The best is typically mid to high tide. The bass that I caught the other day ranged from 1 to 3 pounds. I never use artificial bait. You just cannot beat live fresh bait.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 am

Great day with my son fishing the boardwalk. We limited on our sea bass and also caught a couple capizon, 1 pile perch and a short ling. I would love to post the pictures of the rockfish but I guess I'm doing something wrong as it will not let me.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:32 am

I'm going to be out there all weekend. I have a charter on Saturday, but Friday and Sunday are both open...let me know if you'd like to hook up while I'm out there.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Ya....sorry. I work Friday- Monday this week. But i have the next two weeks off. What charter are you going on. Ohhhh..you need to fish the boardwalk Friday for some lingcod caviar.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Ya....sorry. I work Friday- Monday this week. But i have the next two weeks off. What charter are you going on. Ohhhh..you need to fish the boardwalk Friday for some lingcod caviar.