Labor day weekend charter

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
NWrookie
Petty Officer

Labor day weekend charter

Post by NWrookie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 pm

I am going to charter a trip sometime over the Labor day weekend to try and catch a king. I saw some combo (salmon and bottomfishing) trips and was wondering if it is worth while to do both? I really want to catch a king, but would love to catch a ling or whatever is in season around then. I am willing to travel anywhere in washington. Any suggestions??

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Re: Labor day weekend charter

Post by geekgiant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Where are you wanting to go out of? Labor Day is a bit late in the season. Ling cod season ends in the Sound on June 15, so salmon will be the main game. July/August are prime time, but September will be good too. You'll likely run into a bit of weather also that late in the year.

If you want some real fun, check into a tuna trip out of Westport ;)

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe he was asking about combo charters on the coast. They schedule salmon/bottomfish combos and Ling season goes through October on the coast.

I've never personally done those charters so can't give first hand advice...but yeah, the coast would be the place to go for those combo charters.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:24 pm

The charter that I use in Westport has great combo trips but don't expect to fish for lings. They stop on the way out to the salmon grounds and limit the boat with sea bass. This usually takes about an hour then the rest of the day is spent salmon fishing. I don't know if my charter is a sponsor on Washington lakes so I won't mention their name. PM me and I will fill you in on the best boats to go out on and the one to stay clear of. Also mid week trips are cheaper and less crowded.

NWrookie
Petty Officer

Post by NWrookie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks everyone. I would love to go for tuna, but the price probably will be a little out of my range for now. I was told that Buoy 10 had some good fishing also during this time, anyone know about this? Sorry, sort of jumping around. I do not have any preference on where I go, luckily I get a free vehicle for work and can go anywhere in the state. :) I just want to book the charter that has the best chance of at least putting me into something.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 am

PM hewesbob...he will point you in the right direction. I'd say a charter out of Westport would be your best bet.

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:40 am

I have gone out several times with Captain Dwight on the Tornado with Westport Charters. They are great. I have only done the bottom fishing, and they know how to get you a limit of rockfish. They do combo trips, and tuna trips, and are reasonable, and not flakey like I have heard about some other charters not showing up, one day we had a group join ours because another charter they had booked with didn't show up to take them out.
Eat, sleep, fish

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 am

I'm booked on the Sea Angel for Saturday...anyone have experience with that boat?