North of Falcon Update

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TomD
Petty Officer

North of Falcon Update

Post by TomD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi All! Hope everybody is getting ready for Spring!!!

The fisrt North of Falcon meeting took place today in Olympia. Here's some talking points from the day...

There are some more regional meetings coming up... One in Mill Creek this Saturday which will probably focus on Central Sound issues. There are others planned for the coast and South Sound - see the WDFW website for days and times if you would like to attend

This is shaping up to be a challenging year in terms if shaping fisheries. Large forecasts for the Columbia River/Coast stocks will drive higher fishing on the coast and in Canada, which will increase impacts on our Puget Sound stocks. We don't expect the opportunity for new or increased fisheries this year.

For coho, the Thompson River impacts are the greatest I remember seeing in the initial model run. The US fisheries must stay below a 10% impact on that stock and right now we are over 12%, which may not sound like much but will be hard to mitigate. We may have to go Mark Selective coho more in those areas where the Fraser coho go thru (think Area 5-7).

For chinook we are actually looking a small bit better for Mid-Hood Canal chinook, which have limited the fisheries for years, but we are a bunch over on Lake Washington Chinook, as well as Puyallup, Nisqually and Skokomish. The State and Tribes meet tomorrow to compare notes on the model imputs that each side put in and make sure they are realistic and as correct as can be. But once that is done, I still expect that both the Tribes and Recreational fisheries will have to make some cuts to get under the limits.

Bright Spots

We are still pushing forward with a 2 sockeye bonus limit in Areas 5-7 in July and August to try and access some of the 23+ million sockeye heading for the Fraser. We need to figure out how to target those fish without impacting chinook, so probably trying fresh water or Canadian methods and NOT dragging around chinook gear all day hoping for a stupid sockeye to hit it.

We have mostly agreement to start the Area 9 and 10 summer fisheries at 1 chinook per day to try and make the season last longer, and may also help with the Lake WA issue.

We are still pushing forward with the idea of holistic management of the winter blackmouth fishery, so that going near the guideline in one particular marine area would not trigger management action if the total overall guideline had not been reached.

Baker Lake looks like a combo of lake and river fishery with probably a 3 fish limit.

Stay tuned!

Tom Drews
Puget Sound Sportfishing Advisor

Bay wolf
Commander

Re: North of Falcon Update

Post by Bay wolf » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks Tom. I had to leave right after the Thompson River discussion, so I glad you posted the updates.

I was somewhat encouraged when we discussed (briefly) the concerns with the skokomish fishery and the huge surpluses in hatchery fish, and the fact that the tribe was at least saying they might consider selective fishing techniques. Changing from gill nets to selective fishery methods ( fish traps and weirs ) would drastically reduce mortality impacts. Now, if we could just get the commercial fishermen to see the light.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Thank you for the information.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 am

I appreciate the summary. Thanks for a good job! =D>
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 am

a few more meeting dates and locations:
March 20

Puget Sound Recreational Fisheries Discussion:

6 p.m.-8 p.m., Trinity Methodist Church, 100 South Blake Ave., Sequim
Public discussion of pre-season forecasts and possible salmon fisheries.
March 21

Willapa Bay Salmon Advisory Group Meeting:

6 p.m.-9 p.m. Montesano Timberland Library, 125 S Main St, Montesano, WA 98563
Public discussion of Willapa Bay salmon forecasts and fishing opportunities.
2014 Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor North of Falcon Salmon Management
March 22

6 p.m.-8 p.m., WDFW Mill Creek Office, 16018 Mill Creek Blvd., Mill Creek.
March 24

Public Hearing on Ocean Salmon Management Options:

7 p.m., Chateau Westport, 710 W. Hancock, Westport.
Public hearing, sponsored by the Pacific Fishery Management Council, to receive comments on the proposed ocean salmon fishery management options adopted by the council during its March meeting.
March 25

Willapa Bay Fisheries Discussion:

6 p.m.-8 p.m. Raymond Elks Lodge, 326 Third Street, Raymond.
Public discussion of Willapa Bay salmon forecasts and fishing opportunities.
March 26

Pre-season Columbia Basin salmon forecasts and fishery outlook:

6 p.m.-9 p.m., Walla Walla Community College main lecture hall, 1470 Bridge St., Clarkston.
Public discussion of potential recreational and commercial salmon fisheries statewide.
South Puget Sound Recreational Fisheries Discussion:

6 p.m.-8 p.m., Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. S.E. Olympia.
Public discussion of pre-season forecasts and possible salmon fisheries in Hood Canal and south Puget Sound marine areas and rivers.
March 27

Pre-season Columbia Basin salmon forecasts and fishery outlook:

6 p.m.-8 p.m., Benton PUD, 2721 W. 10th Ave. Kennewick.
Public discussion of potential recreational and commercial salmon fisheries statewide.
April 1

North of Falcon Meeting:

9 a.m.-5 p.m., Embassy Suites Hotel, 20610 44th Ave. West, Lynnwood.
Public meeting to present results of state-tribal negotiations and analyses of preliminary fishery proposals. With public participation, preferred options are developed for Puget Sound sport and commercial fisheries.
April 3

North of Falcon Meeting – Columbia River & Ocean discussion:

9 a.m.-2 p.m., Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. S.E., Olympia.
Public meeting to present results of state-tribal negotiations and analyses of Ocean and Columbia River fisheries proposals. With public participation, preferred seasons are developed for Ocean and Columbia River area sport and commercial fisheries.
April 4

Final Grays Harbor/Willapa Bay Fisheries Discussion:

9 a.m.-5 p.m., Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. S.E., Olympia.
Public meeting to reach final agreement on sport and commercial salmon seasons for Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay.
April 5-10

Final Pacific Fishery Management Council:

Hilton Vancouver Washington, 301 W. Sixth Street, Vancouver, WA.
PFMC adopts final ocean fisheries regulations and state-tribal fishing plans are finalized for all inside area commercial and sport salmon fisheries.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:15 pm

I hope to see a few more of you at the subsequent meetings. Freshwater sport anglers are really under represented.

TomD
Petty Officer

Post by TomD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi Nate!

What sorts of things are you looking for in fresh water??? Freshwater generally are not mixed stock fisheries, so it's only up to how the stocks are doing on that particular river... the issues that I know of on the rivers generally revolve around gear conflicts between recreational anglers and Tribal net gear... or "disorderly fisheries" which means lots of snagging, trespassing and leaving messes behind...

Please let me/us know what thoughts you have and we can try to represent those as well...

Tom

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 am

TomD wrote:Hi Nate!

What sorts of things are you looking for in fresh water??? Freshwater generally are not mixed stock fisheries, so it's only up to how the stocks are doing on that particular river... the issues that I know of on the rivers generally revolve around gear conflicts between recreational anglers and Tribal net gear... or "disorderly fisheries" which means lots of snagging, trespassing and leaving messes behind...

Please let me/us know what thoughts you have and we can try to represent those as well...

Tom
I can think of several things that I would like to see discussed. Every time we advise WDFW to change steelhead regulations through the WDFW, they tell us to go to the NOF process. I'd like to see all native steelhead C&R. I'd like to see stiffer tribal negotiations out on the OP, get better numbers on the escapement out there. That's no secret that I'm unhappy with the way that steelhead are managed on the OP. I believe that the rivers out there can support a larger escapement goal, the escapement is set artificially low because of the pressure the tribes put on us to have harvest opportunity. Historical abundance shows that runs could be significantly bigger, even though they give us habitat destruction excuses to prove that the runs can only be as big as 2,000 or so native returns, I, as well as many sport anglers, think that this isn't true. Even so, escapement is barely met out there as it is. I'd like to see net days reduced to allow for more fish to get by, and the one fish per year taken off the catch card.

As far as the discussions relevant to what is currently on the docket, I know that they are talking about a Skykomish summer chinook fishery. I'd like to entertain the idea of opening the Wallace river for kings once escapement has been met. At least downstream of the reese road bridge. The opportunity for bank anglers to hook up on chinook is low, because of the nature of the flows during the summer, the fish shoot straight to the hatchery, and boat anglers will get a disproportionate share of the fish because of it. Once the hatchery quota is instituted, I'd like to see a mark selective fishery, with barbless hooks and anti-snagging rules to minimize mortality on the wild fish. During the season, many hatchery fish are spawning in the river, rather than going to the trap, which has the potential to influence native stocks. Removing the excess hatchery fish before they spawn with the native fish would be better for the true native kings.

I'd like to see the proposed 18" leader nonsense on the Nisqually quashed before it starts. The rational behind it is that it will minimize native mortality because unclipped fish are "flossed" and released, which adds to the incidental mortality. Instead I would propose that in the "problem" fisheries, the fisrt two fish brought to shore must kept, if legal to do so, and the angler must stop fishing. Regardless of where the fish is hooked. "Flossing" and snagging is not going to go away. It's a tradition that goes back as far as salmon angling has been around. Go with a guide in Alaska for reds, they're going to set you up for "fly fishing", a bead or bit of yarn, and teach you to floss. Just look at the Alaska episode of River Monsters for proof.

Furthermore, in these fisheries, the large schools of fish, combined with the enormous popularity of the fishery, lend themselves to foul hooked fish. The fish shark, upstream and downstream as they are chased by anglers and will hook themselves on the side just because they run into your gear.

By no means take this as an endorsement of snagging or flossing. It just seems that these endangered fish should have the fishing minimized, a really good way of getting the fish out would be this rule. The George Adams hatchery has a surplus of 20,000 hatchery fish, and WDFW is contemplating lowering production. This rule would allow for extra harvest opportunity for bank bound anglers. I have seen many Skok anglers leave empty-handed, after playing 20+ fish, because they released their fish because they were foul hooked. The ethical way to fish for them is to get them to bite, but changing angler behavior is a lost cause in my opinion. This would lower impact on native fish on systems like the Skok, Samish, Nisqually, Puyallup etc. People are not going to stop "flossing" fish. An 18" leader is a ridiculous notion. It's not a flossing leader. It actually should be called a snagging leader. Like I said, I in no way think that snagging is a good way to fish, I just know that it's a method that people are going to employ no matter what. The people that are goin g to floss or snag or going to do it regardless of the regs, we might as well use a new tactic to minimize the impact on the native fish.
Last edited by natetreat on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:49 am

I'd also like to push negotiations with the tribe and feds on a potential C&R fishery on the Skagit.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:44 am

how bout enforcing the snaggers. I'd say flossers too but they are the same.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 am

natetreat wrote:I hope to see a few more of you at the subsequent meetings. Freshwater sport anglers are really under represented.
I'm thinking of hitting this one tonight, more just to listen and learn, it's the closest but seems only Puget Sound will be presented.

March 22

6 p.m.-8 p.m., WDFW Mill Creek Office, 16018 Mill Creek Blvd., Mill Creek.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 am

I agree with your points Nate. The mortality matrix that WDFW uses is based on percentages of wild fish encounters. That's why they ask us boaters if we hooked and released any wild fish while out. They use a percentage of those encounters as killed wild fish. Of course, Almost ALL wild fish caught in a Gil-net is a mortality!

After the last NOF meeting, I sent a letter to Mr. Troutt. He is the Director of Natural Resources for the Nisqually Tribe. I know that the Nisqually Nation has been pretty willing in the past to work with local land owners and WDFW on other issues, and since the Nisqually River is in my backyard, I thought I would try there first.

Here is a copy of my letter;

Mr. Troutt,

Allow me to preface this letter with a little background on myself;

I am a U.S. Army veteran of 22yrs service, avid sports fishermen and have enjoyed fishing on the Nisqually river since 1975. I am not affiliated with any specific group, nor do I support any agenda from one group or another. I am a rather down to earth guy who loves the outdoors and am thankful for the time I get to spend outside.

I have a special love for the Nisqually, always have since the very first fish I every caught in this state was from this river. (A big buck chum!)

Over the years, I have seen the good the bad and the ugly in regards to the sharing of the fish, and I have to say that I admire how the Nisqually people have handled the situation. It is no surprise, I'm sure, that today, with the ever increasing pressure and seeming limited opportunities available, there are a few sport fishermen once again furrowing a brow at the tribal fishing rights.

There is also growing concern on all sides regarding the decline in our wild fish.

This brings me to the heart of this letter.

The management practice of sport fishing to protect wild stock is at it's peak. There is very little left as far as method we can do to reduce mortality rates. Barbless hooks, artificial lure restrictions, not removing fish from the water and seasonal restrictions are all effective.

In an effort to further reduce the impact on wild fish, I am asking the Nisqually people to consider the use of selective fishery methods as well. Perhaps the use of fish traps and or weirs in place of gil-nets.

If this were to be tried, I'm sure the sport fishing community would whole heartily support and assist in any way they could. In addition, it would also provide an excellent opportunity for us to work side by side, which would only build our relationship.

Maybe a trial on one of the runs this year to see the feasibility, and to get a feel on how both the Nisqually people and the sport fishing community can work together?

I believe we all share the same concerns for our environment. We may have different motivations, but we are all after a better, well managed fishery. I also believe in grass root movements and think we can get a lot more accomplished working together, with trust and cooperation.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

With respect,

Perry M

I have not gotten any answer yet, but it's worth a shot at getting some discussions going since WDFW seems reluctant to do so.
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 am

Springer Jerry wrote:
skagit510 wrote:how bout enforcing the snaggers. I'd say flossers too but they are the same.
That's a huge issue that needs to resolved with mandatory jail time and or rig/gear loss if you ask me.
Snagging IS enforced. Mandatory jail time is inviting, but will never happen. I think we sport fishermen can reduce snagging ourselves. Many just choose to not speak up.
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm

I enjoyed tonights meeting at Mill Creek. There were lots of empty seats. There was lots of information available. They actively recorded all suggestions from the general public. They actively asked for input. They did not take any votes or ask for a show of hands to see how many people supported certain options they asked about.

This would have been a great meeting for anyone who routinely fishes Puget Sound or any river feeding Puget Sound. They discussed some of the routinely under fished or rivers with excess numbers of salmon.

Glad I went!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 am

Springer Jerry wrote:
natetreat wrote:I'd also like to push negotiations with the tribe and feds on a potential C&R fishery on the Skagit.
Whoa whoa whoa! You're leaving wild steel on the coast alone so why would you push for a C&R fishery on the Skagit? Seems like a double standard to me.
Did you read my reasons for not fishing out there? I think not.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 am

Jerry, you can start another thread for this if you'd like. The Skagit river has met escapement, even though forecasts were slightly under escapement. The returns are healthier on the Skagit than on the OP. We haven't made escapement on the Hoh more than half the time, and escapement is so low that it's not even something to celebrate when we do.

If the Skagit is forecast to meet escapement, I think the the occupy skagit movement has a point. There is no hypocrisy here.The numbers show that sport fishing C&R have negligible impacts on the overall health of the fish. I'm making a political statement by not working the OP, not because I'm "leaving the fish alone". As if WDFW and the co-managers actually care what fishing guides think.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:30 am

C&R a steelhead, he swims off. Catch a fish in a gill nets, and it's dead. That's the difference.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:32 pm

Theres plenty of steel to C&R on the lower skagit

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:40 pm

i caught two at the last occupy event. chromers.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:43 pm

I've never understood how with all those people fishing during the occupy event that I'm the only one roping chromers. just lucky i guess.