Waiting for pinks...

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sven2k5
Petty Officer

Waiting for pinks...

Post by sven2k5 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 am

Took the kids and went scouting yesterday.

Started at Picnic Point - few people fishing, no fish caught, saw a few fish jump
Went to Langus Park - few people fishing, no signs of fish
Ended up at Kayak Point - about 25 people fishing, no fish caught, a few seals in the water but no signs of fish

Planning on a late start in the office tomorrow morning and want to try to catch high tide / slack in the early AM. Any suggestions were to go? Was thinking about taking the ferry and fish of Fort Casey area but the first ferry doesn't leave before 5:00am what leaves me with driving up to the Skagit which I never fished before... Any suggestions for a good spot from the bank or any other location in the area?

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Re: Waiting for pinks...

Post by beachbum97 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am

Fort Casey would probably be your best bet as of now. The Skagit is producing fish but its still pretty slow, at least for me. If you're fishing Fort Casey, try to fish as far away from the ferry terminal as possible. If you go down the road there should be a park named "Driftwood Park". This is where I go. This place is also known as the pump house. If you're fishing the Skagit, plunking sand shrimp and spin-n-glows on Young's Bar, "Edgewater Park", would also be another place to go. Try to get an hour before incoming tide when fishing the lower Skagit. Good Luck!

PAHTNAH
Angler

Post by PAHTNAH » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm still waiting myself! Was at Brown's Point this morning from 6am-11am only to seen 5 caught (on the west (left) side of the lighthouse)

I just hope to be out casting when the runs really start to run!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Was at dash pt in my waders 6-730 lost one at my feet and another right after I hooked it then had to go. Guess my jig is getting dull got about 15 so far on the same jig.

sven2k5
Petty Officer

Post by sven2k5 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 am

They are making there way down to MA 8-1 / 8-2 slowly... another 2 weeks and it will be red hot!!!

Thanks for your guys input!!

P.S. went to Rotary Park yesterday, didn't see any fish... few people fishing.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:01 pm

It may be another two weeks before the Pinks show up in mass. I fished Sekiu last Sunday through Wed, 3 rods, my boat. The Chinook fishing was great except for too many high fins. We caught 12 and kept 6... 29,27,25,25,12 and 10. The high fins we released were around the same size.

There were not many Pinks around. We caught a few incidental Pinks, a few at the cleaning tables but no large showing. We even went couple miles into the Straight one afternoon, no Pinks at all, a few Silvers also with a high fin.

The mass migration of Pinks (and Silvers too) hasn't started yet, IMO, need rain, prob another two weeks.

sven2k5
Petty Officer

Post by sven2k5 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48 pm

There are going to be lots of pinks and silver's in the mix. Can't wait for it !!!!!!

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Still a ways off, I stopped by the Mukilteo ramp this morning at 10.30 and they had only 28 pinks and 2 silvers noted.
Looked to be enough boats out to walk from shipwreck to possesion without getting wet

sven2k5
Petty Officer

Post by sven2k5 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Haha, ya! Lots of boats out there. Will be hitting the snoho tonight for high tide and slack. Hope the rain last night did something positive....