Beach near Freeland

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Beach near Freeland

Post by Mordalphus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 am

I'll be on Whidbey island near Freeland on August 3rd, and would like to hit the beach for an hour or two if I have time.

What would be a good place to hit? I see there's a Whidbey island state park there but I'm not sure where I can or can not fish since 90% of Whidbeys shoreline is privately owned.

Also would there be any salmon inside Holmes harbor? That's where we'll be staying, out by baby island.

Thanks!
Last edited by Mordalphus on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolff
Petty Officer

Re: Beach near Freeland

Post by wolff » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 am

Head to Bush Point or a little further north to Ft. Casey(more room).

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 am

Freeland at low tide is a mud pit. I tried launching my boat there and I had to go to Langley to launch. Not enough water at Freeland. I'll imagine it wont be too good for fishing. I wasnt there on a high tide.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 am

Well ill just be passing through Freeland, I'll be near baby island at the tip of Holmes harbor, just hoofin it.

I'll try to check out bush point, I think fort Casey would be too far, looks like probably an extra 30 minute drive from Freeland.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 am

I really like Bush or Lagoon point. Good parking and beach access. I found the homeowners there at Bush were really nice and allowed us to walk through their properties.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 am

Ok cool, that's one of the things I was worrying about with bush point, looking on Google maps it's all private beach, and also looks like tough parking situation.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Looks like we will probably go to fort Casey after all... Forgot I'll have my wife and 2 year old with me, and they might get bored sitting on the beach at bush point.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Last time I went to Bush was during steelhead season. It was boring till this 800 lb sealion came on shore snorting and barking. I ran to my truck lol. This sea lion was huge. Some guy said they are more afraid of us. I said that's BS. I went to Lagoon to get away from it. Fort Casey is nice. Deeper water there. Are you going this weekend? I finally got a weekend off. I want to go to 10 different fishing spots. Hahaha. Two days off in a row is a dream.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:06 pm

No, this weekend I'll be squidding at edmonds in Friday night, then Sunday I'll be at picnic point since my wife will be at a baby shower in meadowdale.

This will be the weekend after.