fishing off jetties

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
seacaptain
Angler

fishing off jetties

Post by seacaptain » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 pm

i am looking for any useful tactics for fishing off jetties. We would use a 3 way swivel then baited with shrimp. We havent had too much success except an occasional striped perch,black bass, or greenling. Any tips help. Just looked at a picture of a good size ling caught off a jetti, seems that could be a rare occurance off a jetti, but thats one reason why i fish

spokey9
Captain

RE:fishing off jetties

Post by spokey9 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:18 am

if you really want a lingcod, the best way i've seen so far is to use a live seabass or greenling for bait under a big slip float so that you can adjust it to hang just high enough above the bottom your bait can't hide in the rocks.. lings for the most part aren't scared of too much and want something live and good enough sized (a pound or two) to be worth the effort of attacking. you can also you a 2oz jighead with a decent sized plastic with some scent and bounce that close to the bottom (you'll a few rigs fishing this way). hope that helps.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 am

Spokey is spot on. It depends on the type of baitfish that are there and where you're fishing, but live bait under a bobber, or just let to swim freely, or on a leash above a weight works. Which jetties are you fishing off of? On the ocean sandshrimp works best, pile worms work well in the sound.

seacaptain
Angler

Post by seacaptain » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 pm

the jetties we fish off are kinda both. One jetty you can get out there and fish more the ocean, the other jetty is more in a bay with calmer water. Thanks for the ideas, i think we are gunna try to catch some greenling and use some of those as ling bait, we are going to try "poke" fishing for the greenling for the first time