Finding good marabou???

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Big D

Finding good marabou???

Post by Big D » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:53 am

Hey all you fly and jig tying folks out there.
I'm in the process of tying up a bunch of marabou jigs for use on Rufus Woods.
I'm looking for 1/4 oz painted round jig heads without collars with hook size 1 or 2 and some good quality marabou for a good price.
I've looked at Cabela's, Barlow’s, Basspro and locally and I'm having trouble finding what I need.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

blufin loui
Lieutenant

RE:Finding good marabou???

Post by blufin loui » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey ya BigD
I haven't been there in a while, but the Blu Dun fly shop in east wenatchee use to have some pretty impressive materials (maribou included), but probably no jig heads.
I used to order the jig heads (when not pouring them myself) plain the paint them up. some pretty good paints available these days.
Good luck with your adventure.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Do you have a Joes??? Lots of general stuff lots of jigs heads and the fly area has lots of working material .

Not great but good.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:16 pm

www.feather-craft.com

Very good selection and quality.
Life's short - fish hard!

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 pm

I avoid buying marabou online because it is a natural product, therefore, quality varies considerably.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 pm

I don't like buying products such as these online, usually because the color not only looks much different from the pcitures, but you can't tell the quality without touching it. I reccomend going to fly shops and looking at thier selections of Marabou. Are you going to be simply using this marabous as a tail or winding it hackle style?
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

kingcatcher
Petty Officer

Post by kingcatcher » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm

what i do is i go to joes and look at the marabou to see if its good. the joes at renton have a good selection of fly tying.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 pm

I feel your pain brother, and my best advice is to buck up and pay the price to order some from every single supplier for fly tying there is.:-"

OK, maybe not, but it seems that is what I have had to do over the years.#-o Do you know that olive can be anything they think it is when they send it out, from Kelly green to .................................. never mind.

I travel a lot, so when I travel I stop in and check out what they have. When there is a fishing, boat, or sports show, I check out the booths. As for on line or catgalog sales, try Kaufman Streamborne. Still, if you don't see it in person, you never know what you are getting. Worse yet, the suppliers suffer the same problem you do. Blue Dun may have excellent material today, but next month it may be useles. You just never know what you are going to get.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”