best jigs/color for trout?

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
kingcatcher
Petty Officer

best jigs/color for trout?

Post by kingcatcher » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:21 pm

i just started tying jigs and was wondering what type of jigs of jig colors and combination of colors. i tyed a black wooly bugger jig and it lookes like a really great jig. so if any of you know of great jig/colors for trout can you post them. pict. of possible. thanks

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:best jigs/color for trout?

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Much bigger picture#-o that calls out colors for jigs.
1. The water color you press in the river , lake or sea, clear, stained glacier run offs, milky, pea bog bottoms or stone bright clear!
2. Flows and depths your fishing if any:bounce:
3. Weather bright or cloudy#-o =+ these will help in the choices First not a General selection= mother nature controls all and water color presses the game in all colors per day and every day in general could be differnt so cover 1st base to home plate!!! and the one one did is a good one for a starter!:-$ :cheers:
:eye: The bigger work bench wins all fish wars
Attachments
gear17.jpg
gear17.jpg (73.42 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
gear15.jpg
gear15.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Hey kingcatcher,
This is what I use/troll/cast at Rufus Woods. I troll the flies behind a wiggle fin with a small 1/4 oz worm sinker about 100 feet behind the boat at about 1 to 2 mph. I sent a couple of this style of fly setup to northern Idaho with my in-laws and they report back that they did great on Lake Pend Oreille with fast limits. This style of jig works wonders just dropping it over the side of my boat. I fish it in all depths of water. Lets see some photos of your jig tying.
Attachments
Flies.jpg
Flies.jpg (173.64 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 pm

No such animal as a "best" jig color for trout.

I do belive that Black, Olive, and Brown, and combinations of two or three of those colors, are the better ones.

I believe that chartreaus is a very good color for trout in some water conditions.

White, especially if mixed with other colors, is also great for trout.

I have not done well with yellow, red, orange, or pink for trout, but these colors are good for crappie, and the pink especially for steelhead at times.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”