perch and crappie flies

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

perch and crappie flies

Post by sharpshooter223 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:39 pm

alright, i just obtained 3 new fly boxes yesterday and i feel the urge to fill them before spring. one of them i am going to fill for panfish so my question is what are your favorite flies for perch fishing. if your favorite fly is the clouser minnow could you please give a color you seem to do well with, and your second favorite fly. my question pertaining to crappie is do perch and crappie usually take the same fly and what color do crappie seem to favor alot of the time.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:perch and crappie flies

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:02 am

Almost any fly will take a perch or crappie, they are not picky if you get it close to them.

Small leach patterns, like Woolly Buggers tied on size 10 hooks, work well. So do small minnow patters, like the Mutaka, again tied size 10 or a little bigger. Damsel Fly nymphs are also top notch.

I like the water boatmen, or back swimmer, patterns for early spring use. They work because they available before a lot of other bugs come on the water.

Still, any still water trout fly will catch crappie or perch if you can get it down to them.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”