trout pellet fly

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

trout pellet fly

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:57 pm

can anyone who has been succesful with making and using flys that look like the rufus woods trout pellets tell me how to make them or some pointers on what they made theres out of and how ddep and far from shore to use them
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

RE:trout pellet fly

Post by sharpshooter223 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm

i have tried to make one of these before. i think the best i got was a piece of cork in the shape of a pellet tied on a dry fly hook and then painted brown. i dont know what rufus woods hatchery pellets look like but i think you can get something close with cork. you can also try different yarns and chenilles and stuff with foam and see if you can get something like what you want. as for how to fish them i have no idea.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:52 pm

The ones I saw were little puffs from a fabric store died brown and trimmed. then put on a hook and a drop of CA. Store them in with the powerbait hatchery formula till use. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:03 am

Bodofish wrote:The ones I saw were little puffs from a fabric store died brown and trimmed. then put on a hook and a drop of CA. Store them in with the powerbait hatchery formula till use. =)
I'm not really sure, but I think I read somewhere that if you put any kind of attractant scent on a fly, it's considered bait fishing. It might be legal at Rufus Woods, but if your going to be fishing in a fly fishing only area you might want to look that one up in the regs.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:28 am

its considered bait there too and all fishcaught on bait count towards ur limit i tried some foam im goin to try that cork tonight ill post pics of what they look like
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:
Bodofish wrote:The ones I saw were little puffs from a fabric store died brown and trimmed. then put on a hook and a drop of CA. Store them in with the powerbait hatchery formula till use. =)
I'm not really sure, but I think I read somewhere that if you put any kind of attractant scent on a fly, it's considered bait fishing. It might be legal at Rufus Woods, but if your going to be fishing in a fly fishing only area you might want to look that one up in the regs.
DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,
Some people have no sence of humor.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:57 pm

travislikesfishing wrote:its considered bait there too and all fishcaught on bait count towards ur limit i tried some foam im goin to try that cork tonight ill post pics of what they look like
Please see previous post.

Trout food doesn't float, that's why the puff ball that sinks slowly when it gets wet.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Please see previous post.

Trout food doesn't float, that's why the puff ball that sinks slowly when it gets wet.
i dont know what the food they feed the trout stocked at rufus woods does, but different hatchery foods float and others sink.
personally i dont think the trout care either way if it does what their food at the hatchery does. once they have been released they may care for it one way or another but i guess thats for expirementing with
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:25 pm

The trips that live around the pens care deeply about the food. When they feed the pens you can see the food go by suspended in the water column drifting down stream. Many of them come back to the pens in the winter for an easy meal or they just get more aggressive about feeding then. I've even caught wild rainbows there, I'm guessing because of the easy pick'ins.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Lotech Joe wrote:
DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,
Some people have no sence of humor.
I believe it's the guy with the badge that doesn't have the sense of humor. [-x 8-[ [-x 8-[ [-x 8-[ [-x
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:33 pm

I guess you wouldn't know a smily face if it jumped out and bit you. Quit being so serious, we do this for fun.

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Deer hair, cork and chenille seem to be the most popular materials:

- Carp flies (including corn and pellet flies) http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/tyingcarpflies05.html

- Scroll down to "Trout Pellet Egg" under "Nymphs & On The Bottom" http://www.taneycomotrout.com/flypatterns.html

- Website quote: The Pellet fly is essentially nothing more than a small dry fly hook packed with deer hair and clipped into the shape of a small fish pellet, like the ones fed at trout hatcheries. The key to using the Pellet Fly effectively is to lightly toss a handful of loose earth or small stones on the surface of the water, mimicking the scattering of trout food pellets in a hatchery trough. Immediately after tossing the pebbles, drift your pellet fly over the same area.

- The Lyons Pellet Fly - an article by Nick Lyons in 2004 Fly Fisherman (Intermedia Outdoors, Inc) // Article Abstract:
An angler's experience of catching rainbow trout using pellet fly is illustrated. The materials needed, such as wine cork, a single-edge razor blade, medium grade sandpaper and others, and the procedure for the preparing the pellet fly are discussed.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Bodofish,
I'm sorry I missed your post. My intent was not to stifle a joke (I saw no smiley face) but to save the ignorant of an embarrassing situation with the law. Especially if they were flying a WL.com flag on their hat, shirt, boat, trailer or truck. I hope that if I stepped on your toes with my post, that your corns are better by now.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey Guys (& Gals),
Speaking of the guy with the badge, I've been checked by WDFW Agents more times in the two years I have fished on Rufus Woods than all my fishing trips in WA since moving here in '84.
So if a trip is planned be sure you're comfortable with your rendition of the rules and regs.
I appreciate all the great posts, so keep up the good work all.
Also, Outdoor Chris describes how to make his version of the "pellet flyin the RW "freshwater lakes area.
Good luck all
Attachments
120608.jpg
120608.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 6162 times

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:19 am

I would think that you could use a small piece of foam shaped like a pellet approx. 1/4 in dia. and round. To make it slowly sink use a fly line that sinks or very small BB shot sinker. Just enough weight to offset the floating of the foam. A heavier hook might also work. I use a foam piece from my wife's makeup applicator. It is about 3/8 in in dia and about 3/16 thick. I just take them off the plastic applicator. I soak them in some fishy juice like Trout Gravy or Mike's Juice and they work quite well. I use a permanent marker to color them any color I want. White, Green, Red, and Brown work best. I soaked some in shrimp juice and tuna juice and thought it worked pretty good for perch. Good luck on finding the Rufus Woods Holy Grail!

:santa: Happy Holidays to all, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”