What Colors?insects

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
dryflyin13
Angler

What Colors?insects

Post by dryflyin13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:16 pm

hey,
Im new to the area. moved here from Pa (I grew up with trophy trout waters in my back yard). Anyways I live in tumwater and have been fishing the deschute quite abit cause it so close I can almost always get cast in everyday after work. Im not sure of the type of insects on the river. I get some good hits on gnats, and anything with whites in it but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on what patterns and colors o use this time of year, and also if anybody knows the ood hotspts on the river or around here. Also I am a bass fisherman at heart so any advice on that would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: What Colors?insects

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't want you to think you are being ignored, I just don't know much about that area.

I fished the Deschute a long time ago, but upstream, way up stream, and much earlier in the year. Good luck, I expect you will figure it out.

rickydbasser
Petty Officer

Post by rickydbasser » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:09 am

I don't know alot about river fly fishing, other than in moving water trout have a tendency take advantage of whatever falls in a stream and floats by. Hopper and woolybug patterns have always worked well for me when I used to fly fish streams. On our lakes, the fall is when the Pink Lady hatches are coming on on many Western Washington lakes. A No. 12 or 14 hook tied with a hot orange body and brown hackle is a great choice. I choose to tie my hackles Palmer style, which floats higher and longer than the standard hackle tie. As far as bass, I take it you live in the Olympia area. Thurston County has one of the best selection of bass lakes in Western Washington. This site's Lake Index section has a complete listing and direction to get to them.

dryflyin13
Angler

Post by dryflyin13 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

hey thanks alot for the info guys...sorry it took me a minute to respond. I was outta town for a minute. I have had alot of luck with wooly buggers and basicly anything with white. hopefully they will keep hitting for a few more weeks than i gotta try and figure out the next plan...which is why this is such a great sport

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”