Clear Cure Goo

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Clear Cure Goo

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:25 am

Has anyone used this product? Looks like it is pretty good stuff.

http://www.clearcuregoo.com/

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1711858134

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Clear Cure Goo

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 am

Looks like great stuff......... May have to get me some.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Finished product looks good. Not certain if it's good enough to warrant the $50 price tag.
Life's short - fish hard!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 pm

I got it in the mail today. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow night. It was in the mail box when I got home and it was quite cold so I'm going to let it equalize to the room temperature before trying it.
Most of the cost is in the light itself. It runs about $30 alone, but is necessary in the process. I was first aware of a similar process, believe it or not, in the dentist office. They cemented a crown on with a substance like this and then used UV light to activate it. Must work, because the crown is still on. I remember them applying the "goo", putting the crown in place and then taking a light similar to what a doctor checks your ears with and shining it on the crown for a few seconds. My only problem now is that I glow in the dark!:geek:
My intent is to use it for shell backs on water boatman, big fly heads, shells for scuds and a few other patterns. It is also used to apply eyes on big flies. I'll use it a few different ways and then post my comments. I think it is going to work well.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 am

I played around with this a bit last night and I must say it is some real cool stuff. I went through my fly boxes and re-coated the shell backs on my water boatman flies. I was using nail polish to harden up the turkey quill. That worked fine until I would get a strike and then the quill would be shredded, especially catching Brook Trout. Now that won't happen, problem solved!:cheers: Over the weekend I'll try to tie up a couple more and get photos of how it looks and post it.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:45 am

Lets see some pics! I've been looking at tying some tube flys and what I see on their site looks pretty cool. Not really sure if I'd use a tube in a year but once you have the light, you have it and I'm sure I could be talked into sharing a bit of goo locally... =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Here is a close up of a water boatman where I used a turkey tail feather for the wing case. If you look close at the head you will see that I was also able to coat the head of the fly with the CCG. I like how it dries to a shiny finish, so much so you can see the reflection of the fluorescent desk lamp above the fly. Once you get used to the consistency of the material it is relatively easy to use. What I like most of all is that the coating of the case is fast and much more durable than several coats of nail polish. Cool stuff!:cheers:
Attachments
CCG_Water_Boatman_1.JPG
CCG_Water_Boatman_1.JPG (102.06 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 am

Nice, I'm getting some!!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:09 am

nice finished product, very life-like look to it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 am

What is funny to me is that this is a dental filling material without the white filler to make it tooth shade. 2 things: 1- $50 for the light and the tube, you can imagine how much it costs your dentist to get the specially colored product, and 2- this probably let some dentist hang up his drill for good in exchange for a fly rod.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 pm

This product must be chemically related to what is used for windshield repair which also requires U.V. light to set. I have a tube of that stuff in the garage.....It's thick and it dries clear and hard. When I bought the kit I had to buy the U.V. light as well. I will give it a try and let everyone know if it works.

Right now I use Sally Hansen's "Hard as Wraps"? I find that it works great to "armor" quill backs and such. It's a thick acrylic based finger nail strengthen that you can buy at Wallgreens for $3.50 or so. I use 2 coats to create the same effect as epoxy on my buzzer patterns.

Tight Lines!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 pm

A new application that I came up with is making adult Damsel Fly bodies. I coat a section of embroidery floss with it and then quickly cure it with the light. I then use a black permanent marker and put on the black ribs. It is slightly flexible but still holds the form. With the coating of CCG, the body will not absorb water. This is much better than using the foam tubes.
Attachments
Adult_Damsel_1_1.JPG
Adult_Damsel_1_1.JPG (108.96 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”